Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 steering is very stiff (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298217)

Vakito Sep 2nd, 2019 15:02

240 steering is very stiff

Hi all

Within the last 2 weeks the steering on my 240 has gotten very stiff, however this is a rapidly intermittent fault, as in you can start steering, regardless of if you're moving or idle and it's stiff, then it will go free for a fraction of a turn before going stiff again.

Then sometimes the steering will be fine if you're steering in one direction for a while but will go stiff again if you try in the other direction.

Seems completely random with no pattern at all.

It is slightly worse when the car is not up to temp but not by much.

I've read that it can either be the UJ or the steering rack but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same experience with something like this?

Also if the worst comes to it, what's the average cost for a 240 steering rack rebuild?

Regards
Peter

Clan Sep 2nd, 2019 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakito (Post 2550253)
Hi all

Within the last 2 weeks the steering on my 240 has gotten very stiff, however this is a rapidly intermittent fault, as in you can start steering, regardless of if you're moving or idle and it's stiff, then it will go free for a fraction of a turn before going stiff again.

Then sometimes the steering will be fine if you're steering in one direction for a while but will go stiff again if you try in the other direction.

Seems completely random with no pattern at all.

It is slightly worse when the car is not up to temp but not by much.

I've read that it can either be the UJ or the steering rack but I just want to know if anyone else has had the same experience with something like this?

Also if the worst comes to it, what's the average cost for a 240 steering rack rebuild?

Regards
Peter

you don't want to replace the steering rack if it is the steering shaft UJ stiff, which it could well be , you need to disconnect it from the pinion shaft and see how free the UJ joint is ... In my long experience dismantling a steering rack is never worthwhile it either leaks or plays up some time in the near future , best buy one with a years warranty .

is it stiff or heavy ?
stiff means you turn the wheel and the steering stays where you leave it when driving , ie it does not self centre ...

Bugjam1999 Sep 2nd, 2019 17:15

Sounds like the universal joints to me. There are two in the engine bay and they’re both easily visible/accessible - spray them both with lots of your penetrating oil of choice (WD40, etc) several times over several days and see if the steering improves.

If not the next stage is to take the steering column out and see what the universal joints feel like when moved by hand. As above, rebuilding steering racks is a bit hit and miss.

Is the power steering reservoir leaking fluid? If so that would suggest the pump is worn out.

Cheers

classicswede Sep 2nd, 2019 21:23

The problem you are describing is a typical failed pump.

I would also lube the steering shaft UJ's but to cure your issue you will need to replace the pump

Vakito Sep 3rd, 2019 07:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2550256)
is it stiff or heavy ?
stiff means you turn the wheel and the steering stays where you leave it when driving , ie it does not self centre ...

The steering has more trouble self centering when it's cold, when up to temp it does to an extent but not nearly as well as it should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2550349)
The problem you are describing is a typical failed pump.

I would also lube the steering shaft UJ's but to cure your issue you will need to replace the pump

I'll give the UJ a lube and possibly replace if it's that bad.

Regarding the pump, I can still turn the wheels while stationary, albeit they're harder to turn but I would have thought that wouldn't be possible if the pump has failed. Not sure though.

Cheers

Clan Sep 3rd, 2019 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vakito (Post 2550416)
The steering has more trouble self centering when it's cold, when up to temp it does to an extent but not nearly as well as it should.

I'll give the UJ a lube and possibly replace if it's that bad.

Regarding the pump, I can still turn the wheels while stationary, albeit they're harder to turn but I would have thought that wouldn't be possible if the pump has failed. Not sure though.

Cheers

if the steering gets lighter when you rev the engine its the pump . Otherwise get it pressure tested first . Max pressure should be around 120 bar ..before the pressure relief valve opens .

Clifford Pope Sep 3rd, 2019 09:05

It may well be the pump but the U/Js are easier to fix and would cost nothing, so do that first.
I've had exactly these symptoms in the past, and I found that simply squirting penetrating oil on them was encouraging but not a total cure.
You need to remove the bit of steering shaft with the joints, clean it up thoroughly, and then leave the assembly in a bowl of thin hot oil overnight.
Then exercise each joint to its full extent, and keep on oiling and moving until it entirely frees up, then refit.

(while about it, fit a flexible wire link bridging each joint. They form the vital earth for the horns, and a well-lubricated joint is not a good electrical connection)

c1800 Sep 4th, 2019 17:18

You might try changing the fluid in the PS using the turkey baster method.

https://www.oildepot.ca/using-turkey...teering-fluid/

I’ve done it on several vehicles and it has improved the performance of the power steering.

Most vehicles never get the fluid changed, so this can help.

Vakito Sep 6th, 2019 11:44

Thanks for all the good advice,

I'm gonna change the lower UJ and flush the fluid this weekend