Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Throttle body’s adaptation in Vida (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278622)

pierremcalpine Feb 22nd, 2018 01:25

Throttle body’s adaptation in Vida

Hi gang,
I’m preparing for s throttle body replacement for my 2004 2.5t s60. I attempted a thorough cleaning of the TB today but no dice. Got a bunch of stalls, eratic isle and an ECM 130a (air leakage intake) code. So, turns out that I live very close to Xemodex, an outfit that sells contactless TB’s for Volvo. When these are installed I’m told and have read that they do not require any programming but DO require that the adaptation sequence in VIDA be run.

Just for kicks I tried to run the adaptation on my existing TB today but I’m not sure it took. I got no prompts after pressing begin and gave up after a minute or two.

Has anyone here successfully run the adaptation from VIDA? I’d so, any tips? The instructions said that you need to scan for any faults first as some faults will prevent the adaptation from happening. I’m thinking that may have happened. I had the ecm 130a error. Does that seem right?

Any advice you guys have to offer would be appreciated. I really don’t want to be stuck having to call a tow truck because the car won’t start after installing the replacement.

100K+ Feb 22nd, 2018 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine (Post 2372237)
. Got a bunch of stalls, eratic isle and an ECM 130a (air leakage intake) code.

I had this code a while ago on my V70 Turbo. Turned out it was the "O" ring that fitted at the bulkhead end of the over engine charge pipe was 3 parts missing. I appreciate you have decided you have a throttle body issue, but checking to make sure the "O" ring is good is a 5 minute job.

Cheers

Bob

pierremcalpine Feb 22nd, 2018 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2372274)
I had this code a while ago on my V70 Turbo. Turned out it was the "O" ring that fitted at the bulkhead end of the over engine charge pipe was 3 parts missing. I appreciate you have decided you have a throttle body issue, but checking to make sure the "O" ring is good is a 5 minute job.

Cheers

Bob

Thank you, Bob - by O ring, do you mean the adjustable clamp that fastens the engine charge pipe to the turbo?

100K+ Feb 22nd, 2018 17:25

Yep that the item.

Cheers
Bob

Missing Lincs Feb 22nd, 2018 21:14

I've done the adaptation on a V50. I would think it's very similar, the hardest part was finding how to start the test, on my version of ViDA the start was the actual symbol on the adaptation page.

Adaptation is done with the engine running and only takes a short time, you can tell it's working if the engine nearly stalls as the valve on the TB is almost closed. At least that's what happened for me, I thought I'd broken the car when it nearly stalled!

pierremcalpine Feb 22nd, 2018 23:42

Thank you, Missing Links. I think I’m getting the adaptation to run as the behaviour at start up is very unique with what appears an “idle ladder” happening wth RPMs remaining steady at 2000, then lower, lower again, etc. It takes about 20s. But I get no confirmation that the adaptation has happened afterwards. Is this normal?

Missing Lincs Feb 23rd, 2018 15:05

Sorry, can't remember about any confirmation message. I do remember that nothing seemed a great deal different before and after the process. I did it after replacing the position sensor on the throttle body, you can do this on the V50 which is a whole lot cheaper than replacing the entire unit as I had to do with my V70 :-(