Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   any advice on buying a 99 V70R AWD??? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=62473)

Will Dec 5th, 2008 22:31

any advice on buying a 99 V70R AWD???

HI
I'm new to this site. I might be buying my 1st Volvo this weekend!
I'm going to test drive a 1999 V70R AWD, with 129k miles, advertised at €4,950.
Does the price seem fair?
Is there anything in particular to look out for?
Are they reliable in general? I've read wildly different reports on US sites from best car ever to a complete money pit....
I think its about 250bhp?
Is it possible to easily upgrade the power on this car with a chip mod?
Is it suitable for a gas conversion?
Is 3rd row of seats standard spec?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Baffler Dec 5th, 2008 23:11

Hi Will,

If you have won the Euromillions lately...snap it up :) On the other hand, if you earn the average industrial wage, then I would be cautious. Make sure there are no knocks or bangs coming from the drive train. This model can be, unless very well looked after, a money pit! Lovely motor, don't get me wrong, but I just can't afford one :o

Are you buying from a Volvo dealer? If so be sure to ask for a full 12 months warranty on engine, gearbox and try your luck on drive shafts.

My advice... Try look for a V70R, preferably manual ;)

I'm sure someone is going to send me to the gallows for those comments.

P.S. I think there was a saffron V70R in Limerick Motor Centre. Can't remember whether it was auto or manual though!

chow Dec 5th, 2008 23:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 432516)
HI
I'm new to this site. I might be buying my 1st Volvo this weekend!
I'm going to test drive a 1999 V70R AWD, with 129k miles, advertised at €4,950.
Does the price seem fair?
Is there anything in particular to look out for?
Are they reliable in general? I've read wildly different reports on US sites from best car ever to a complete money pit....
I think its about 250bhp?
Is it possible to easily upgrade the power on this car with a chip mod?
Is it suitable for a gas conversion?
Is 3rd row of seats standard spec?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

4900 euros ?????? are you for real, its a ten year old banger ffs, its way overpriced

James_N Dec 6th, 2008 00:12

a banger, is a bit harsh, but that is a bit pricey! halve it and thats about what id pay imo.

AWD system can be a bit problematic so i read. Id go for a 2WD version personally.

chow Dec 6th, 2008 09:49

i mean its a banger in terms of its age ,the car itself may be very nice but at the end of the day its ten years old, which in todays market means unless its something very special its a banger and worth next to nothing, id say its worth 1200 euros tops

Chris_Rogers Dec 6th, 2008 11:26

It may be worth little in the UK market but maybe not in Ireland.

Having said that, view it as a nearly 10 year old potential money pit.

Clan Dec 6th, 2008 12:03

Does it have rear vented discs and a tail pipe at each side ? It would be a bit more desirable if so .. If manual would be 265 bhp...

Terminator Dec 6th, 2008 14:41

The going rate for good (needing no work with FSH) versions of this model (same age and mileage) in the UK is about £2,500. 1999 will mean it is the ME7 engine management system with drive by wire throttle and the dreaded and flawed electronic throttle module. Volvo are aware of the shortcomings on these and will 'service' or replace at subsidised prices.

Make sure the tyres are all the same make / tread pattern and have the same wear otherwise your AWD system will be prone to fail (Read bevel gear).

I have had mine converted to LPG and thoroughly recommend it but this will add another £2k to the price!

If you are going to 'chip' it (personally wouldn't recommend it unless its manual as auto gearbox isn't up to it), get it done before you have the LPG conversion.

250bhp suggests it will come with 302mm vented discs on front, solids on rear with one tail pipe.

3rd row of seats was an option but not a good one if you are looking to fit LPG as it will mean you have to go for a smaller doghnut tank.

You really need to be handy with the spanner (do all the routine stuff) if you are going to run one of these, otherwise it could get expensive!

Baffler Dec 7th, 2008 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminator (Post 432671)
The going rate for good (needing no work with FSH) versions of this model (same age and mileage) in the UK is about £2,500. 1999 will mean it is the ME7 engine management system with drive by wire throttle and the dreaded and flawed electronic throttle module. Volvo are aware of the shortcomings on these and will 'service' or replace at subsidised prices.

Make sure the tyres are all the same make / tread pattern and have the same wear otherwise your AWD system will be prone to fail (Read bevel gear).

I have had mine converted to LPG and thoroughly recommend it but this will add another £2k to the price!

If you are going to 'chip' it (personally wouldn't recommend it unless its manual as auto gearbox isn't up to it), get it done before you have the LPG conversion.

250bhp suggests it will come with 302mm vented discs on front, solids on rear with one tail pipe.

3rd row of seats was an option but not a good one if you are looking to fit LPG as it will mean you have to go for a smaller doghnut tank.

You really need to be handy with the spanner (do all the routine stuff) if you are going to run one of these, otherwise it could get expensive!

As they say... from the horses mouth. (by no means referring to Terminator as a horse ;))

As said before...go for the 2WD R and you should save yourself a lot of time and expense. See here for average UK asking prices.

If you do actually buy, feel free to drop over to Limerick, I'll check to see if your turbo is working :D

Madleee Dec 7th, 2008 08:07

From my experience an avaerage branded car has it's 'mid life crisis' at 7 years, this is the time when the expensive jobs crop up.
For a Volvo 'mid life crisis' occurs at 10 to 12 years, so make sure the one you are after has a nice thick pile of receipts with it.