Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Information: Getting Out Driving Again (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307240)

silb Jun 23rd, 2020 11:56

Getting Out Driving Again

Morning folks,

I hope everyone has been taking care and keeping safe over the last few months. Great to see that the cars have been keeping everyone busy over this lockdown period. It's definitely been a challenging time, but I'm really looking forward to being able to get on the road again now that some measures have been lifted.

Was just curious to hear what kind of changes the forum users will be making to their habits once we are on the other side of this. Going for a drive for pure leisure seems a little redundant just now. I hope we can get back to a place where you can go for a good Sunday cruise or similar without causing any issues. Been thinking about this social distancing that will be in place and think I might develop the safety kit that I keep in the car to include some type 2 masks. I've read these are what you need to keep safe in enclosed public spaces.

I think from now on these are the sorts of changes we will need to make to our habits so we can enjoy our cars in relative safety.

Best,

Chris

Clan Jun 23rd, 2020 12:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by silb (Post 2641532)
Morning folks,

I hope everyone has been taking care and keeping safe over the last few months. Great to see that the cars have been keeping everyone busy over this lockdown period. It's definitely been a challenging time, but I'm really looking forward to being able to get on the road again now that some measures have been lifted.

Was just curious to hear what kind of changes the forum users will be making to their habits once we are on the other side of this. Going for a drive for pure leisure seems a little redundant just now. I hope we can get back to a place where you can go for a good Sunday cruise or similar without causing any issues. Been thinking about this social distancing that will be in place and think I might develop the safety kit that I keep in the car to include some type 2 masks. I've read these are what you need to keep safe in enclosed public spaces.

I think from now on these are the sorts of changes we will need to make to our habits so we can enjoy our cars in relative safety.

Best,

Chris

Indeed a good idea , This killer Virus is still circulating strong out there and we do not know where it is ... we don't have to get close to people we can stay 3 metres away if we want :-)

StanC Jun 24th, 2020 17:26

Yes, along with the tool kit and first aid box, the cars are now also equipped with hand sanitiser, alcohol wipes and face masks. As you say, this virus hasn't gone away, with more than 90% of us still having no immunity and it would be so easy for society to lapse back to the behaviour we had in February and do it all again. So, we really do need to continue to use our heads and not go back entirely to our 'old normal', but still maintain our distance. It will only be when (and if) an effective vaccine and/or treatment is established that we will be able to properly relax.

Stan.

DaveNP Jun 24th, 2020 18:06

Without wishing to add to the fears you already have, a type 2 mask will protect other people from you, it will have limited effect protecting you from them, if it makes you feel better or more confident then go for it, personally I won't be wearing one.
I'll continue to go out and enjoy the fresh air and sunshine, I'll avoid shops if I can help it because I never did like shops.

StanC Jun 24th, 2020 19:56

You're right, Dave, about the importance of using the right kind of face covering. I've got a supply of FFP3 - type masks, with 3M filter, from my work days and these do give an element of protection to the wearer. Not perfect, of course, but better than nothing.

Stan.

EssexExile Jun 24th, 2020 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNP (Post 2641970)
Without wishing to add to the fears you already have, a type 2 mask will protect other people from you...

But if we all wore them everyone would be protected from everyone else!

scuba0576 Jun 24th, 2020 20:20

What about all the Audi drivers out there !!??
They didn’t give you a 2m gap before all this kicked off, I can’t see them changing now.
😷😁

StanC Jun 24th, 2020 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by scuba0576 (Post 2642012)
What about all the Audi drivers out there !!??
They didn’t give you a 2m gap before all this kicked off, I can’t see them changing now.
😷😁

:icon_smile_lachuh::icon_smile_lachuh::icon_smile_ lachuh::icon_smile_lachuh:

DaveNP Jun 25th, 2020 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexExile (Post 2642004)
But if we all wore them everyone would be protected from everyone else!

Unfortunately the type 2 mask (and similar variants) that everyone seems to be getting into wearing still only provides limited 'outbound' protection too. It will stop large droplets (spit/snot/dribble) escaping forwards so they are a good products if you want to avoid accidental contamination of what you're working on, either open heart surgery or a delicate electronics circuit, but there's no seal around the edge of the mask, so if the wearer coughs producing fine aerosolised droplets they will merely be deflected out of the sides to float around waiting to slip in through the side of the next persons mask as they take a breath.

Austin160 Jun 25th, 2020 15:09

Is there any mileage in something is better than nothing at all? - or shall we just subject others/ be subjected to, the full force of any coughs and sneezes.