Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Towbar electrics & extra relays (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=22148)

wheelnut Jul 22nd, 2006 12:27

Towbar electrics & extra relays

1 Attachment(s)
Just been looking to see what is involved in fitting a 12S socket to my P2 V70. It already has the 12N and behind the spare wheel I can find no less than 4 relays!!
One is the one which buzzes when the indicators flash and the other three are all identical. They all have 6 wires going in, red, grey, blue, white, brown, orange. The blue is to permanent live on the battery (via an inline fuse) and the white is ground to the battery.
What are they?? There is no trace of a 12S socket ever having been fitted before.

Chris_Rogers Jul 23rd, 2006 08:21

Looks like an aftermarket bodge to me.

You may find it's simpler in the end to get the proper Volvo kit which includes software to enable the equipment, incuding the dash lights, via the CAN bus.

Rooster Jul 26th, 2006 00:27

Nice bodge, hats off to the prat that wired that,

If you look on wiring round that area you will see a big grey connecter thats hanging down doing nothing, there you will find every wire you need to wire up a twin electrics towbar, including a built in split charge system altho that needs a relay in the rear fuse box as does the foglight,

As above you may need a software download but it will only be to make the foglight work and not all cars need that

Madleee Aug 1st, 2006 20:04

Bulb failure?

Just a thought, but does your V70 have a bulb failure sensor?

Alec Dawe Aug 1st, 2006 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster

Hummmm..... that looks worse than my wiring!!!

CTCNetwork Aug 1st, 2006 20:21

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Dawe
Hummmm..... that looks worse than my wiring!!!

And mine too, marginally!
But then, when you get a Witter kit installed by a company, they use the Witter supplied wiring and don't bother with the in-car wiring circuit that already exists...
One would have thought, when you odrer a witter tow bar for a Volvo 940, for example, they would be able to supply the appropriate kit for that car...

Des. . . ;)

MidLifeCrisis Sep 8th, 2006 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 132263)

If you look on wiring round that area you will see a big grey connecter thats hanging down doing nothing, there you will find every wire you need to wire up a twin electrics towbar, including a built in split charge system altho that needs a relay in the rear fuse box as does the foglight,

As above you may need a software download but it will only be to make the foglight work and not all cars need that

Do you know the details of the relay required?