Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   I need it out of my system; 240 estate (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=171403)

Matt240 Jan 23rd, 2013 21:12

I need it out of my system; 240 estate

Yes, I'm back... Again. I need to get those 240 Volvo phase out of my system so I'm after a manual estate somewhere in Scotland or Northern England. Let me know if you see anything I don't; I keep a diligent eye on Auto Trader, Car and Classic, Gumtree and Ebay.

john h Jan 24th, 2013 08:48

Good, but it's not a phase you know. Once hooked, you are addicted for life.

Mine started 26 years ago when I accidentally bought a 164. It was abandonned in a hotel car park, flat tyres and covered in moss, and I felt sorry for it!

I've had 'phases' with other cars (including DS, 911, XJR and M5) but I keep coming back to these faithful rwd Volvos.

John

Matt240 Jan 24th, 2013 16:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by john h (Post 1336554)

Mine started 26 years ago when I accidentally bought a 164. It was abandonned in a hotel car park, flat tyres and covered in moss, and I felt sorry for it!

I've had 'phases' with other cars (including DS, 911, XJR and M5) but I keep coming back to these faithful rwd Volvos.

John

I fear that you might be right. Oh well, bring it on!

gary austin Jan 24th, 2013 16:35

240 glt saloon for sale

hi matt i have a 240 glt saloon up for sale in fife scotland see the for sale post cheers gary

Velorum Jan 24th, 2013 17:07

Im afraid you are unlikely to get it out of your system. Its best just to accept the fact.

Im on my 9th. I went cold turkey for 4 years but eventually had to return to 240 ownership.

Its just the way it is.

:natur008:

Matt240 Jan 24th, 2013 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gary austin (Post 1336813)
hi matt i have a 240 glt saloon up for sale in fife scotland see the for sale post cheers gary

You sir have a PM, probably the only saloon I've seen that I actually quite like.

rusty244 Jan 24th, 2013 19:54

I concur with the other statements in this thread.

Own one / drive one (or possibly just be driven in one) and you are hooked for life!

My 240 experience started with being driven around in one initially in a baby seat, then into the rear passenger seat and when I was tall enough, the front passenger seat. Then finally at age 10 onwards I got to drive it on private land occasionally.

Took me everywhere I needed to go until I was ready to take the reins at 17.

Anyway - good luck in your car hunting OP - hope you take the plunge and get a good one!

Eoin2 Jan 24th, 2013 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by john h (Post 1336554)

John

They do get under your skin somehow. Proper things..

I'm just about to get my third, an estate this time. At the request of my wife (yes really..!).

Velorum Jan 24th, 2013 21:12

Imagine my wife's suprise when I pulled into the drive with my latest one after driving more modern offerings for the past few years. She must have thought she had seen the last of the old RWD;s

"Not another old mans car"
"But it hasnt got any air conditioning"

etc

Well, no ones forcing her to ride in it - shes got her own VW Polo!

Anyway, I'm happy again :thumbs_up:

AJ1968 Jan 24th, 2013 23:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Hutchinson (Post 1337068)
Imagine my wife's suprise when I pulled into the drive with my latest one after driving more modern offerings for the past few years. She must have thought she had seen the last of the old RWD;s

"Not another old mans car"
"But it hasnt got any air conditioning"

etc

Well, no ones forcing her to ride in it - shes got her own VW Polo!

Anyway, I'm happy again :thumbs_up:

What is it with wife's and older Volvo's? I get that to and its not just the wife its the daughter as well! Lol