Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Windscreen leaking (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=241240)

zaker Dec 10th, 2015 21:27

Windscreen leaking

Hi, iv had a small leak from the top of the windscreen, nothing too major but now and again just a few drops on the centre console. Iv put sum windscreen sealer(the very thin stuff) around the screen but with no luck. Yesterday I put some silicon sealer around and hey guess what...about an inch of water in the passenger foot well !! Iv obviously blocked something up, just can't think what ! Any tips appreciated in advance.
Thanks

NigelDay Dec 10th, 2015 21:30

How old is your car ?
Assume it is now out-of-warranty.

zaker Dec 10th, 2015 21:33

4 years old, just started leaking few weeks ago

844PHW Dec 11th, 2015 07:55

A number of people (myself included) have gone back to the dealer about this sort of problem. Re-fixing the windscreeen after bonding failure along the top edge seems to be a standard job on the XC60 at least. Sometimes people are charged full rate for the job (£120, I think), sometimes they get a "goodwill contribution" from volvo that reduces the price somewhat. What would happen in your case as you have already fiddled with it, I don't know.

zaker Dec 11th, 2015 18:59

Ill give Volvo a ring tomorow and see what they say..in the meantime got carpets to dry out !!

Cheers

volvo for ever Dec 11th, 2015 19:55

yes get onto volvo there are loads leaking far back as 59 plate on all models poor sealing
from factory

NigelDay Dec 11th, 2015 20:00

Perhaps try and remove your DIY sealant before you take it in ?

Warkman Dec 11th, 2015 21:09

Not sure what insurance you gave, but I hope a stone doesn't get thrown up and crack your windscreen,miso it needs replacing.......

bullstiff Dec 11th, 2015 22:06

We've just had our 10 plate xc60 in for this very problem. Our dealer told us that we should look at a new screen as they often break getting them out. We were quoted £600 for a new screen plus removal and rebonding.
It's not covered under the warranty we have (select I think)
Bit peeved, may give Volvo uk a call, we are however covered for windscreen on our insurance £75 excess.
It sounds like it should have been a recall.

wilbydoughboy Dec 12th, 2015 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by bullstiff (Post 2025359)
We've just had our 10 plate xc60 in for this very problem. Our dealer told us that we should look at a new screen as they often break getting them out. We were quoted £600 for a new screen plus removal and rebonding.
It's not covered under the warranty we have (select I think)
Bit peeved, may give Volvo uk a call, we are however covered for windscreen on our insurance £75 excess.
It sounds like it should have been a recall.

I agree a recall to check and reassure owners that their cars are watertight and safe. A poorly fitted screen should be unheard of on a £25,000 plus car. The damage that can be done to the inside of the car without owners knowing their cars are leaking shouldnt be their problem. I have owned various cars and vans as have my friends and we have never known of such a problem.