Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   A/C - always on or not? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=307265)

BlueDevil Jun 24th, 2020 13:19

A/C - always on or not?

I can't seem to find the simple answer to these questions about A/C system:

1. should the AC be left ON constantly throughout the year, regardless of outside temp/defrosting/etc?

2. somewhere I've read that it's advisable to turn off AC like 2-3 blocks before arriving to let the system evaporate the moisture from dehumidifying while AC was on. But if you do that, then the answer to my 1st question is "NO, don't leave it always on".

To add to questions, when I drive short rounds in the city (say 15-20' in start/stop traffic) if I was to turn the A/C off 5 min before coming home, it would get very hot in the car. So I'm stuck either with having AC but being hot regardless (if I turn it off 2 blocks from home) or I would not let the system dehumidify itself. So one of the 2 premises must be false...

Buckshot61 Jun 24th, 2020 13:37

The only time i turn it off is when the car has been standing in the sun in the summer. I wind the windows down and drive away for less than 1 km.

BlueDevil Jun 24th, 2020 13:53

I see, so you say no "venting" necessary...

colnet Jun 24th, 2020 14:10

On, 24-7, 365

BlueDevil Jun 24th, 2020 14:12

I don’t know if it changes anything - it’s XC60 D3 MY 2016

ilmiont Jun 24th, 2020 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckshot61 (Post 2641878)
The only time i turn it off is when the car has been standing in the sun in the summer. I wind the windows down and drive away for less than 1 km.

I'm basically the opposite haha. Rarely use AC preferring to have open windows/sunroof. I'll use AC after standing in the summer for the first couple of minutes with the windows closed, to get the interior down to a comfortable level.

Then I turn it off and open the windows.

krzemien Jun 24th, 2020 18:21

Did you check what vehicle manual says about it?

In case of my V70 (page 126):

The air conditioning can be switched off, but to ensure the best possible climate comfort in the passenger compartment and to prevent the windows from misting, it should always be on.

And, frankly, I don't remember ever turning it off...

4x4 Jun 24th, 2020 18:29

When the A/C is re-gassed there is oil added into the system, if you use the A/C the oil circulates and helps prevent the seals from drying out therefore preventing leaks. If it's not used the seals will dry out and eventually leak the R134a out into the atmosphere

A/C is like XC90 the parking brake... use it or loose it

cheshired5 Jun 24th, 2020 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueDevil (Post 2641870)
I've read that it's advisable to turn off AC like 2-3 blocks before arriving to let the system evaporate the moisture from dehumidifying while AC was on.

Even my 2002 has an after blower which comes on automatically approximately 30 minutes after engine switch off to dry out the system.

Set your comfortable cabin temperature then leave AC on auto all the time. This is how the system was designed and it's packed with features to allow it to be left like this permanently.

Baxlin Jun 24th, 2020 19:06

The only time mine’s off is when the top’s down, which is quite often! But in a tin-top car it’s always on.