Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   What's your model Volvo and what DONT you like about it? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=64799)

Laney760 Jan 18th, 2009 21:48

What's your model Volvo and what DONT you like about it?

Just thought this might be a light hearted way to learn a bit about other models. Perhaps if we limit it to 3 things?

I've got a 1992 940TD Estate, which is unbadged. I hate where the horn controls are on the steering wheel, not in the middle, so if you are in the middle of a fast turn you can't realistically get to the horn quickly, well I don't find it easy, I guess you're supposed to use your thumbs. Interior lights - I can't believe I've got no map lights, but then mine is unbadged and has a wierd mix of extras and I can't believe how far back the interior light is, I have to really stretch.. Engine wise, adequate, about 122bhp I believe, shame its not a bit faster! Other than that I'm happy.....

foggyjames Jan 18th, 2009 23:27

Only base models did without map lights, for what it's worth.

I'll talk about the S70 for now...

The engine has a mount onto the bulkhead, which makes it rather unrefined.
I don't like spannering on anything where you can't get into the engine bay with the engine :)
It can't put down its power properly...and it's not even a T5.
I wish it had wheel studs and nuts, rather than bolts.

Apart from that (unless my brain has totally switched off)...I like it :D

cheers

James

James_N Jan 19th, 2009 02:19

My 740:

Headlining in a bit of a state after 3 years of abuse now

No turbo, although a plus side to this is that its one less major thing to go wrong, I wouldnt mind another 40 or so BHP!

Think thats about it. I guess my dash electrics could work better at times, but thats not a huge problem.

NI_Volvo_Nut Jan 19th, 2009 04:39

Is it 3 things per car or 3 things overall lol

ok, the 740, its a bit under powered, its only a 2.0, it needs a roof cloth, a clutch and a tidy up of the body work, but i'm classing these as problems, not things i dont like,
the 940, someone gave it a heart and lungs transplant, that said, if she was oringal i wouldnt own it lol, only thing i dont like is the noise
the s70, she's an SE, had i of thought at the time when i was bidding on ebay for it i wouldnt own it now, its the 1st Volvo i came accross without heated seats or headlamp wipers, but thats the only things i dont like about her.

keithyboy Jan 19th, 2009 08:02

S40 GDi

Things I don't like:

i) The engine;
ii) compared to my old Primera and my Alfa it doesn't handle brilliantly. Steering in the 156 is 2 turns lock to lock whereas the Volvo is nearer three calling for much arm twirling.

To be honest, it's mainly that poxy engine.

Velorum Jan 19th, 2009 09:00

240 (1990)
Vinyl trim under windows / on tops of doors - wrinkles and generaly deteriorates and is very diffcult to replace.
Fuse box is poorly placed and prone to moisture penetration.
Electronic injection is not as reliable as mechanical.

740 (1990)
Headlining not as durable as I would like.
Same as above re the electronic injection.
Doesnt have the character of the 200 series (a really subjective statement!)

oilburner Jan 19th, 2009 09:17

My S80:

Misting headlights is just so fustrating, nothing seems to really fix the problem.
The steering wheel is too big, makes it difficult to enjoy back roads (OK, I know that's not what these are for...).
I really don't like the way it jerks over ruts in the road on fast corners, but I can live with it.

None of those would stop me buying another! :)

tt82 Jan 19th, 2009 09:19

V40 1999

1) lack of level load lip in the boot
2) rear door design -c pillar could be more upright giving better access
3) dark glass/plastic on boot, stands out on light coloured cars and looks wrong

skb Jan 19th, 2009 11:13

850 T5 1995

Nothing to dislike yet, enjoying driving it.:)

Chris740R Jan 19th, 2009 11:39

slightly slipping clutch
lack of roof
Lights don't work behind switches etc