Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Break pads and disc replacement (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=338987)

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 06:57

Break pads and disc replacement

Hello all,

As per the subject, I am going to replace the disc and pads on Friday.
Do you know what size of alan key I need to unscrew 2 bolts that hold the calliper to the hub arm? Those bolts under a plastic cover

I am asking as I would like to buy it if I don't have already this prior I start work.

If I miss any tool/key I have all the shops far away from me and without a car I will have a problem.

Thanks in advance

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 07:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2942328)
Hello all,

As per the subject, I am going to replace the disc and pads on Friday.
Do you know what size of alan key I need to unscrew 2 bolts that hold the calliper to the hub arm? Those bolts under a plastic cover

I am asking as I would like to buy it if I don't have already this prior I start work.

If I miss any tool/key I have all the shops far away from me and without a car I will have a problem.

Thanks in advance

I am pretty certain it's bigger than most caliper hex bolts, I had to dismantle my brakes recently due to lack of use and seized pads, and I had the same issue.

The front hex key is at least 10mm, possibly even bigger, my guess is 11mm as my 10 was just a bit too loose inside it

The rears are smaller hex key, around 8mm

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd443 (Post 2942332)
I am pretty certain it's bigger than most caliper hex bolts, I had to dismantle my brakes recently due to lack of use and seized pads, and I had the same issue.

The front hex key is at least 10mm, possibly even bigger, my guess is 11mm as my 10 was just a bit too loose inside it

Thank you it means I have to buy hex 11mm as I don't have it at all. Massive thank u

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhd443 (Post 2942332)

Did you manage to use 10mm to unscrew it? I see hard to find 11mm. 10 or 12 mm only

TeamG Mar 26th, 2024 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2942334)
Thank you it means I have to buy hex 11mm as I don't have it at all. Massive thank u

Yes, 11mm. I bought a pair of 11mm hex sockets on Amazon, one long, one short for about a fiver. Did the job.

Just watch if you’re doing the discs too. The caliper bolts are bastard tight and loctite too. I needed a spanner on a spanner to break them free as I didn’t have the right socket for those either (can’t remember what size, but I did a thread on replacing all discs and pads a couple of months ago and it will be in there).

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 08:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamG (Post 2942341)
Yes, 11mm. I bought a pair of 11mm hex sockets on Amazon, one long, one short for about a fiver. Did the job.

Just watch if you’re doing the discs too. The caliper bolts are bastard tight and loctite too. I needed a spanner on a spanner to break them free as I didn’t have the right socket for those either (can’t remember what size, but I did a thread on replacing all discs and pads a couple of months ago and it will be in there).

Yes. I found your post

Will that work for me? I am not sure.

11mm key

It's it 11mm hex?

rhd443 Mar 26th, 2024 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chudy85 (Post 2942342)
Yes. I found your post

Will that work for me? I am not sure.

11mm key

It's it 11mm hex?

That'll do yep, 11mm

I knew it was bigger than a 10, I can remember buying one to do it from a local motor factors so posted the above advice from memory sorry 😁

wynnj Mar 26th, 2024 14:03

Assuming you've got alloy wheels, on final reassembly put a smear of copper grease between the contact points of the wheel the disc and the hub collar to prevent future corrosion between the steel and alloy. This will make the wheels much easier to remove in the future.

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 14:33

You are very helpful. Thank you

Chudy85 Mar 26th, 2024 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wynnj (Post 2942374)
Assuming you've got alloy wheels, on final reassembly put a smear of copper grease between the contact points of the wheel the disc and the hub collar to prevent future corrosion between the steel and alloy. This will make the wheels much easier to remove in the future.

Will LIQUI MOLY Brake Anti-Squeal | 100 g | Paste | do the job too?
I have ceramic grease no idea if i got copper one