Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   HELP!! XC70 2008 Vibration (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323025)

XC70Life Jan 23rd, 2022 17:27

HELP!! XC70 2008 Vibration

Hi all, new member hoping that you can help me solve an ongoing problem I have with my 2008 XC70 D5. It's now on 155,500 miles.

Bought it about a year ago knowing it had not been given the love it should have so knew it had various issues. Lots of these were straightforward like aircon re-gas, cambelt, full service etc. Have gradually been putting things right, with just the one issue left. One of those irritating vibrations between about 60 and 80! Most noticeable at 70. It's driving me nuts!

When I bought it the rear end snaked like crazy but that turned out to be some rear mounts of some description, got those changed and the snaking stopped. Volvo main dealer has changed front hubs, new pads and disks allround, obviously tried balancing and tracking but it's still there. I even bought another set of wheels with new tyres and it's still there. I'm sure it's going to be something simple but Volvo just dont seem to give a monkeys.

To me it feels like its front nearside, but I've been told it might feel like it's there but could be from anywhere on the car. Volvo said front driveshafts 'looked ok', they said there was a little bit of movement in a rear one but they didnt think that would cause it. Oh and they wanted £600 to change it! £600!!!!!

You can feel it through the pedals and from the floor of the drivers footwell. Take your feet off the pedals and the floor you cant feel anything.

If I thought and had confidence in the dealer that £600 would fix it I'd get it done, but they have said it's not that.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be incredibly grateful, I've spent a fortune getting the car back to where it should be, I absolutely love the car but I just need to sort this last thing.

Hoping someone can help!

Thank you!

Rob.

foggyjames Jan 24th, 2022 14:36

Vibrations certainly can be caused by driveshafts, but this is usually most noticeable under load (accelerating / climbing hills, etc). I'd also be checking the health of components which affect dynamic tracking (i.e. how well the suspension keeps the wheels aligned, not the static setting of the tracking) - wishbone bushes, bottom ball joints, track rods (inners and outers), etc. My car can be tracked "straight", but scrubs up tyres, walks all over the road, etc. It's about to get everything thrown at it - fair game at 270k miles, I think!

cheers

James

passenger Jan 24th, 2022 14:56

You can always buy drive shaft online and change it by independent mech. That would be cheapest to do.

XC70Life Jan 24th, 2022 15:38

Thank you both!

It's so frustrating as you would think Volvo would be the people to turn to to get it right. If anyone has recommendations for a decent garage I'd happily give them a try. I'm in Hertfordshire but happy to travel to get it fixed!

XC70Life Jan 24th, 2022 15:39

Thanks James! I wish I had a trusted mechanic who I could give it to to get it sorted! And that's excellent mileage on yours!

37 RUBY Jan 24th, 2022 21:01

Have the front top suspension mounts been inspected for wear?

This is an often overlooked component which does cause NVH when worn