Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 Suspension: Rear Control Arm Bushes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291672)

galcip88 Feb 10th, 2019 19:53

Rear Control Arm Bushes

Hi there

Does any of you relate to this

TNN60-08-2005-03-23 Title: Rear Control Arm Bushing, Improved Stability

DESCRIPTION: Under certain conditions while driving on curved roads over uneven road surfaces a customer may complain about handling properties. In some cases the customer may complain about a sidestepping sensation from the rear of the vehicle. A new control arm bushing has been introduced in production from the chassis number listed below.

Type Engine code Chassis #

384 52 - 476762

285 52 - 507989

S60R owners last six digits of VIN up to 476762
V70R owners up to 507989.

All newer chassis vehicles have upgraded control arm bushings.

Thank you

100K+ Feb 10th, 2019 22:02

I believe that this refers to the issue of "side hop" that plagues some V70R & S60R, and was an attempt by Volvo (In the USA only????) to fix the issue.
The attempted "fix" was, I believe, to use less flexible bushing in some rear suspension components.
The real issue I have read was supposedly bad suspension design by Volvo in trying to get the 4C concept into a smaller than necessary location.

This upgrade received a mixed reaction, some cars it improved, some claimed it actually made theirs worse.

There are many places on the web where you can find more info on this subject.

A real time solution ( for me at least )to the side hop issue was put forward on a USA forum (www.V70R.com) where by the total rear toe was set to 0 deg, and not the manufactures suspension setup.
This greatly reduced the issue of side hop on my 2004 V70R.

Cheers
Bob

galcip88 Feb 16th, 2019 08:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100K+ (Post 2494444)
I believe that this refers to the issue of "side hop" that plagues some V70R & S60R, and was an attempt by Volvo (In the USA only????) to fix the issue.
The attempted "fix" was, I believe, to use less flexible bushing in some rear suspension components.
The real issue I have read was supposedly bad suspension design by Volvo in trying to get the 4C concept into a smaller than necessary location.

This upgrade received a mixed reaction, some cars it improved, some claimed it actually made theirs worse.

There are many places on the web where you can find more info on this subject.

A real time solution ( for me at least )to the side hop issue was put forward on a USA forum (www.V70R.com) where by the total rear toe was set to 0 deg, and not the manufactures suspension setup.
This greatly reduced the issue of side hop on my 2004 V70R.

Cheers
Bob

Thank you Bob

It seems that this subject of this bloody “side hop” is driving me mad,the more i look into it the less i find the actual fault,some say those 2 bushes,some say shock absorbers,some say the entire rear axle bushing.Last summer i have done an wheel alignment and the guy there said it’s impossible to set the toe to 0,he was like maybe on the spreadsheet when i will print it out will be 0 but as soon as you drive off it will never stay 0 because of something to do with metal torsion,heat and some other scientific reasons according to him so i start to look into it online,but it sort off got frustrating since i can’t find anybody or anything to point me out to the exact matter.

Anyhow i really appreciate your help and i will follow up on that website to see what can i find there.

Ciprian

100K+ Feb 16th, 2019 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by galcip88 (Post 2496097)
Thank you Bob

It seems that this subject of this bloody “side hop” is driving me mad,the more i look into it the less i find the actual fault,some say those 2 bushes,some say shock absorbers,some say the entire rear axle bushing.Last summer i have done an wheel alignment and the guy there said it’s impossible to set the toe to 0,he was like maybe on the spreadsheet when i will print it out will be 0 but as soon as you drive off it will never stay 0 because of something to do with metal torsion,heat and some other scientific reasons according to him so i start to look into it online,but it sort off got frustrating since i can’t find anybody or anything to point me out to the exact matter.

Anyhow i really appreciate your help and i will follow up on that website to see what can i find there.

Ciprian

IIRC the actual thread ran along lines you say above, people blaming and claiming that various components solved the issue - one even claimed it was due to wear of the lower front wishbone ball joint. The common thread being making the suspension movement less, either by shorter components, running only in Sport mode, software upgrade, or by stiffer OEM components, ie anti-roll, bushings, etc . However, there was no common consensus of success until a guy came on and claimed he'd found the holy grail. He'd contacted a team in Germany, who he knew were seriously racing V70 R's, and stated the issue and asked for advice. It was these folks who came back with the figure of 0deg total rear toe..

I have subsequently read, (But I'm not 100% sure of my facts here) that the "Hop" is due to the change of -ive/+ive toe as the car turns a corner and encounters a bump. By changing to 0 deg this change from a -ive to +ive toe is eliminated, as your toe technically can be described as already +ive hence the side hop is reduced/eliminated. ( I can't remember which direction the change runs, but that was the explaination I read.)

My car had its rear suspension changed to 0 deg total rear toe, and the change in its side hopping manners was immense. I do still experience it, but never in Sport mode, and only rarely in comfort mode, where to be honest it does catch me out, not expecting it as its so rare now.

BTW That same site has/had a fascinating thread - dozens of pages , about the collar gear in the bevel gear, if you like techy stuff.

Cheers
Bob

davebb Feb 16th, 2019 15:49

Hi if you do want to improve you rear end adjustment I would go for these as well so the toe adjustment can set much better as it does away with the cam bolt setting,
they are very well made, they are not thin bent still like the std stay toe arms are, you can make very fine adjustments with these arms,

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/1024...-rear-toe-rods

Dave