Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Wheel nuts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=196595)

StvC Jan 13th, 2014 12:07

Wheel nuts

My wheel actually fully fell off!! Only car I've ever had with greased studs and I have long been sceptical that the decreased friction will make them easier to come loose.

If someone could sort me out with 5 studs asap I'd be grateful. Just let me know how much I owe you.

whiteman Jan 13th, 2014 20:42

wheel studs

what sort you after....chrome or steel? got some steel ones in the garage

classicswede Jan 13th, 2014 21:50

What type of wheel nuts do you have? There are the plain open ones, the plated ones that swell up, dome head nuts and the long GLT nuts.

Are the studs still ok?

StvC Jan 13th, 2014 22:56

Err, I dunno :-) plain open ones I think. They are holding on Virgo alloys (previously steelies) and the car is a GL.

The odd thing is they are all very stiff, smooth when tightening but stiff to the extent that the torque heats the nuts up a fair bit when loosening or tightening? Is this a Volvo thing?
Think the threads are ok, at least the 3 I put on to limp the car home went on fine.
Alloys are black, so steel would match the others.

All help appreciated.

StvC Jan 14th, 2014 23:31

Hello? Can anyone help?

crogthomas Jan 15th, 2014 09:30

1/2" unf

Every Volvo I've had has wheel nuts which have deformed to the point of becoming impossible to spin on by hand. Either everyone tightens them up too much or they're made from cheese.
I'd suggest getting some new ones from Volvo or any of the many aftermarket suppliers. 240 wheel nuts are 1/2" UNF with a 60 degree seat.

Volvodrivingbiker Jan 15th, 2014 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by crogthomas (Post 1558300)
Every Volvo I've had has wheel nuts which have deformed to the point of becoming impossible to spin on by hand. Either everyone tightens them up too much or they're made from cheese.
I'd suggest getting some new ones from Volvo or any of the many aftermarket suppliers. 240 wheel nuts are 1/2" UNF with a 60 degree seat.

I'd have to agree if your wheels fall off then maybe the steel wheel type dont suit ally but id go as far new studs and nuts because if some mokey has over tighten then in the past then old ones will be out of shape

StvC Jan 15th, 2014 11:34

Hmm ok guys thanks for you help. Was hoping to avoid new studs as I'm just not confident going through some of the methods suggested for fastening the studs into the hub.
Ok, I wasn't trying to skimp but an (albeit) brief skim over the usual places didn't yield too many search results except some nondescript - seemingly generic wheel nuts. Just any Volvo dealer do you think? You are correct though my nuts do not going on without resistance which is what every other wheel nut I've put on does on other vehicles.

Antz Jan 15th, 2014 12:40

Never fit wheel nuts designed for steel wheels onto alloy wheels. They fall off.

StvC Jan 15th, 2014 14:42

Yeah that's what happened! Ok, so what do I need where do i get them. That's all I need...you guys must have done it countless times.
Cheers