Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 (2005 on) C30 D5 won't start (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=222757)

D19VDM Jan 30th, 2015 01:10

C30 D5 won't start

I've just finished putting my engine back together on an 07, C30 D5 after the timing belt snapped when the aux belt wrapped itself around it. I sent the head to a company called Motorcast in Shropshire. They were very good and repaired the head and returned it back to me within 7 days while keeping me updated as to the progress of the repair. It had broken the casting on all ten inlet lifters, five exhaust cam caps, one cam follower, the exhaust cam was bent, as was all 20 valves. I've replaced everything on the rebuild with all genuine parts and finally got it completed yesterday. But, the car won't start. I triple checked the engine timing as well as turning the engine by hand before completing the rebuild. All ok. Once rebuilt and the battery recharged just in case I turned the car on and the electric fuel pump runs to prime the system. I've proved that there is diesel to the injectors. I turned it by hand again and there's loads of compression. The car turns over fine but just won't fire. Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

cheshired5 Jan 30th, 2015 02:35

Assuming immobiliser warning lights/engine management lights are going out, I'd be checking all main electrical connections and double checking earths, particularly the battery connections if you had it off the car to charge and the starter earth.
Fuel being present doesn't mean that sufficient pressure is being generated so maybe check rail pressure figures too if you have any diagnostics.

KBB Jan 30th, 2015 04:45

Was the camshaft replaced or are you using the original one?

D19VDM Jan 30th, 2015 06:18

The exhaust cam had to be replaced. The inlet cam was ok.

KBB Jan 31st, 2015 16:17

Reason I asked is good few years ago a good mate of mine dealt with same engine type same snapped timing belt scenario. After the rebuild same no starting issue, the problem was eventually traced to the inlet cam where the impact of the piston on one of the inlet valves moved the cam lobe around its shaft to a new position.

This put out the inlet valve timing on one cylinder out. The cam lobes are pressed onto the hollow shaft.

Clan Jan 31st, 2015 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBB (Post 1839701)
Reason I asked is good few years ago a good mate of mine dealt with same engine type same snapped timing belt scenario. After the rebuild same no starting issue, the problem was eventually traced to the inlet cam where the impact of the piston on one of the inlet valves moved the cam lobe around its shaft to a new position.

This put out the inlet valve timing on one cylinder out. The cam lobes are pressed onto the hollow shaft.

Yes i can vouch for that too !

D19VDM Jan 31st, 2015 19:36

I had it fire and run rough for a few seconds last night but the battery was going down so I put it on charge and went back to it this morning. When I put the battery back on this morning it's back to turning over but not firing. I found number five injector was leaking diesel. I tightened it up and that when it began to fire.

cheshired5 Jan 31st, 2015 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by D19VDM (Post 1839905)
I found number five injector was leaking diesel. I tightened it up and that when it began to fire.

Yes, as mentioned earlier, insufficient rail pressure will cause a non start even if you know fuel is present.

D19VDM Feb 1st, 2015 18:57

What would cause insufficient fuel pressure at the rail?

cheshired5 Feb 1st, 2015 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by D19VDM (Post 1840696)
What would cause insufficient fuel pressure at the rail?

Your leaking injector.