Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   could really use some advise, both front shocks dead? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=258103)

lixah Oct 19th, 2016 17:41

could really use some advise, both front shocks dead?

Hi,

I just feel really lost at the moment and dont really know who to turn to, ive never been in this situation before and want someone who is knowledgeable to advise.

so i recently decided to sell my volvo s60, and it sold today, a guy got in touch, and wanted to buy it, i even picked him up 30 mile trip because he couldnt get a lift.

obviously he looked all over the car; and said he was also a mechanic, and that it looks good, he mentioned that the wheels both touch inner arch lining on full lock and rub, but its no big deal, he said it could be shock absorbers and said there's a noise over bumps, personally i couldnt hear anything and i genuinely didnt know there was any problem with any of the suspension, i could tell that the wheels touched on full lock because you could hear it rubbing, even though it was only minor i thought it was just the stops incorrectly set or something

so he left with the car and about 20 min later i get a text saying both shock absorbers have gone and he has had to drive 30mph home, when i queried what he meant he said theres a grinding noise from the front

im not very mechanical, but even ive had cars in the past with leaky shock absorbers, and from what i thought even if it was leaking, it would probably take awhile to drain and be useless. and even less chance for both sides to go at the same time?

i said if he drove it back then id give him his money back because im really not trying to pull one over on anyone and if it did happen (even though i dont think i legally have to; i would refund him), because i think that's fair.

at first he wanted to make excuses and say tomorrow etc, and he was going out tonight (around 1600-1700 when we're talking) when i spoke to my mechanic he said hed take a look but the problem is the buyer works long hours and is busy most of the week.

i did say as long as its tonight then id give him his money back and i was pretty firm on that, because i dunno what else could happen the longer he has the car.

basically i just dont really know what to do, obviously its a horrible situation to be in, i want to do the right thing but also i dont want to completely screw myself over.

also forgot to mention he also did test drive the car.

taz777 Oct 19th, 2016 18:12

If he test drove the car and accepted it then it's 'sold as seen'. The problem is that there may have been some wear and tear which then became more a problem once he drove it away. It was probably just bad timing.

lixah Oct 19th, 2016 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by taz777 (Post 2183358)
If he test drove the car and accepted it then it's 'sold as seen'. The problem is that there may have been some wear and tear which then became more a problem once he drove it away. It was probably just bad timing.

he says over bumps theres a grinding sound light metal against metal

could this be top strut mounts? little bit of research suggests that is likely it seems

Darlo 1 Oct 19th, 2016 18:42

Take this advice, do not engage with this person anymore, if you have stated that the car was sold as seen then it is now his problem, regarding the wheels rubbing on full lock, its an s60 they do that, even mentioned in the mot testing manual, all he is trying to do is get money out of you for possibly non existant work. He sounds scammier than a scam sandwich with a side helping of scam.

dcw Oct 19th, 2016 18:51

Let me be sure I have this right:-

you are not any sort of motor trader; the car was advertised for sale by you and described honestly; the buyer came and saw it, looked over it, test drove it, professed himself knowledgeable (said he was a mechanic) and identified what he thought was a problem; despite this he gave you your asking price (or, at least, struck a deal with you whereby he bought the car); he gave you the money and drove off with the car?

If I am correct on all of that then I echo the advice already given - simply do not deal with him any more. You have no liability to him whatsoever - it's a private sale so unless you have actively deceived him (which would be very hard to prove anyway) the age-old principle of "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) applies.

I applaud your sense of decency, but if it was really such an issue for him he'd have turned around and come back, He didn't. Now he's just trying to make money/get out of what he has done.

Not your problem!

All the best

David

Simon Jones Oct 19th, 2016 19:17

May be a bit late now, but did you provide a receipt for the money which said something along the lines of 'sold as seen'? If he's signed a bit of paper to that effect then I don't think he's got a leg to stand on as long as the vehicle has not been mis-described. It sounds like you've tried to do the decent thing, but the buyer is (for whatever reason) not playing ball which tends to suggest he's trying it on.

cheshired5 Oct 19th, 2016 19:38

OP......
Shocks don't die simultaneously and when they do die, they don't behave how the buyer described so just ignore him.
You've done nothing wrong. :thumbs_up:

Scooser Oct 19th, 2016 19:39

Sold as seen. The buyer has no recourse (even in law)

pookie Oct 19th, 2016 19:46

As a fully qualified ( albeit retired ) motor engineer I fully concur with Cheshired5

Salut!

Pookie

DaveNP Oct 19th, 2016 20:46

We've seen threads like this before and I'm inclined to agree with Darlo's remarks about Scam sandwich, or to misquote the Pythons 'There's scam scam scam scam chips and scam, but the chips is off'.
It's a sad part of the world that there's people out there trying to pull this kind of stuff, as said he test drove it, had a chance to inspect it, and then chose to buy it, it is his problem not yours (even if we believe there really is a problem). I understand and applaud your decency in wanting to 'do the right thing' and your offer to take it straight back was more than was needed, his faffing about and excuses are just another red flag that he's trying to pull a fast one. If he was from 30 miles away and he's sent you a text 20 mins after he left he's either averaged 90mph all the way home or he was closer to your house than his own when it broke down!