Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Driving styles - automatic v70 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275721)

Gazdkw Dec 4th, 2017 22:39

Driving styles - automatic v70

my v70 isn’t first ever auto box and I’m unsure on best ways to drive it.

In my previous manuals iv done a lot of coasting and could use the clutch to reduce fuel consumption. I’m averaging 38mpg in the v70 and want to try and improve it.

I checked the tyres and they were around 12psi in the backs so put them up to 32 so that should help. However, what else can I do? Is it ok to coast in N mode downhill? Is there any other way to improve mpg?

Thanks

Simon Jones Dec 4th, 2017 22:48

Regardless of the fact that it's illegal (in terms of highway code) to coast in neutral, the potential damage that could ensue if you popped the selector into P or R during the process, would negate any possible fuel savings.

Gazdkw Dec 4th, 2017 23:22

Is it? I never knew that. I guessed it would be a bad idea in an automatic but thought I’d ask. I have accidentally put it into neutral coming to a stop but not quite stopped. I’ll be more vigilant :-)

oragex Dec 4th, 2017 23:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Jones (Post 2344522)
Regardless of the fact that it's illegal (in terms of highway code) to coast in neutral, the potential damage that could ensue if you popped the selector into P or R during the process, would negate any possible fuel savings.

I accidentally shifted from D to R on the highway (for a second I thought it was a manual). Nothing happened, a gearbox protection I guess. However, leaving the transmission in N even while waiting at a light, may not get some bearings lubricated properly. Someone had problems after doing so for a while. I don't know the theory behind, but better be safe.

Not much to do for the mpg, other that using the cruise control and lower the speed.

Gazdkw Dec 5th, 2017 07:43

So it’s not advisable to put the car in neutral whilst waiting at lights?

Georgeandkira Dec 5th, 2017 12:58

I wouldn't think that it is for 2 data-free reasons.

1) When you finally stop at the red light the hardware involved with first gear is already engaged. The disc pac is already compressed-whatever.

"Neutchin'" it requires that you reengage said hardware which involves wear.

2) You'd be inviting a slam were you to give it revs before the unit was fully in gear. This is what damaged (prematurely wore) our transmissions when Ford messed with programming; calling it the "Stop-Neutral" feature.

Simon Jones Dec 5th, 2017 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazdkw (Post 2344535)
Is it? I never knew that.

Rule 122: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...ers-103-to-158

Maybe not technically 'illegal' but certainly discouraged as you are not in full control of the vehicle.

Coasting. This term describes a vehicle travelling in neutral or with the clutch pressed down. It can reduce driver control because
•engine braking is eliminated
•vehicle speed downhill will increase quickly
•increased use of the footbrake can reduce its effectiveness
•steering response will be affected, particularly on bends and corners
•it may be more difficult to select the appropriate gear when needed.

When on the overrun, the injectors are switched off so using no fuel, but if the engine is idling, you are still burning fuel

Gazdkw Dec 5th, 2017 16:18

Thanks everyone. I won’t be coasting or slipping it into neutral.

Have to ask though, why is the neutral feature there? If your gonna stop longer than a set of red lights then your just likely to use Park? Isn’t it inviting someone like myself to find a reason for the neutral which isn’t actually the reason?

jasmith44 Dec 5th, 2017 16:41

I do believe it is there for towing purpose.

Gazdkw Dec 5th, 2017 16:46

Well I’d like to know what that is as I tow quote alot