Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   XC70 2004 - Haldex 2 or Haldex 3 ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286300)

Dereletoile Sep 10th, 2018 12:08

XC70 2004 - Haldex 2 or Haldex 3 ?

1 Attachment(s)
My first post.

My 2004 XC70 with 260,000 km is leaking oil from the haldex unit. I would like to find out if it is a haldex 2 or haldex 3.
"Volvo XC70 Cross Country Info Page" tells me:-
"Second Gen 2002-2003 used Haldex First Generation until MY2003 - 2005 when it got Second Generation. Third Generation XC70 2006+ uses Third Generation Haldex." - Wikipedia/haldex agrees.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/ gives 2004 as the transition year between 2 and 3.

However, I can't find any reference to haldex 2 service parts, and my unit looks like a haldex 3.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.
Derek

Tannaton Sep 10th, 2018 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dereletoile (Post 2446388)
My first post.

My 2004 XC70 with 260,000 km is leaking oil from the haldex unit. I would like to find out if it is a haldex 2 or haldex 3.
"Volvo XC70 Cross Country Info Page" tells me:-
"Second Gen 2002-2003 used Haldex First Generation until MY2003 - 2005 when it got Second Generation. Third Generation XC70 2006+ uses Third Generation Haldex." - Wikipedia/haldex agrees.

http://www.awdwiki.com/en/haldex/ gives 2004 as the transition year between 2 and 3.

However, I can't find any reference to haldex 2 service parts, and my unit looks like a haldex 3.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanks.
Derek

I didn't think Volvo used Gen 1 Haldex, instead a thermo viscous coupling was used on it's AWD models until MY2003 when they went Haldex. It was about this time the car was renamed XC70 instead of V70 XC (to match the XC90 nomenclature).

Dereletoile Sep 11th, 2018 07:51

Thanks for that.

The plot thickens. As well as your comment, my car is registered 2004 and the certificate of conformity is 2003 ! How much more unclear can it be.

Derek

Tannaton Sep 11th, 2018 23:10

It’s not unusual for new, unregistered cars to sit around in the supply chain for 6 maybe 12 months.

Dereletoile Sep 12th, 2018 09:53

6 Attachment(s)
Further information.
I've had assistance from Andrew (USA) and Jamie (UK) (if I'm allowed to post their web-sites, tell me and I shall).
Andrew says that, from my car ID plate information, I have haldex 3.
Jamie sent photos of haldex 2 (concave filter cover) and haldex 3 (cooing fins)

I have either haldex 2 or 3. From comparing my photos with those sent by Jamie, I have haldex 2. No cooling fins perceivable; concave filter cap.

The question now remains, and perhaps it should have been my first question:
"Is the filter for haldex 2 the same as for haldex 3?"

Thanks.

Derek

Tannaton Sep 12th, 2018 23:04

This is one of many cases where it’s best just to order the parts you need from a dealer working from your VIN or VRM. That way you are 99.9% assured they will fit, and if they don’t they will be changed with no charges...

Dereletoile Sep 13th, 2018 19:44

Dear Tannation,

That's sound advice and ordinarily I would agree with you. However, my local dealer could not be bothered to answer an email concerning a door key so I don't trust them to answer more complicated questions concerning transmission.
The main thing though is that my dealer is 2 hours east or 3 hours west as I am in France. My language skills get me through most predicaments but explaining my requirements to someone who lives in another region, with the consequent regional accent to which I am unaccustomed, is something that I do not relish.

best wishes

Derek

XC90Mk1 Sep 13th, 2018 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dereletoile (Post 2447398)
Dear Tannation,

That's sound advice and ordinarily I would agree with you. However, my local dealer could not be bothered to answer an email concerning a door key so I don't trust them to answer more complicated questions concerning transmission.
The main thing though is that my dealer is 2 hours east or 3 hours west as I am in France. My language skills get me through most predicaments but explaining my requirements to someone who lives in another region, with the consequent regional accent to which I am unaccustomed, is something that I do not relish.

best wishes

Derek

Go into eBay and find Cafyns Volvo Eastbourne. Email Ashley or Chris and they will find you the exact kit based on your model and send it through fairly priced. I have bought discs, pads, service items and consumables, gaskets and washers etc without ever having a problem. When I have had difficulties identifying something I have spent 10 or 15 minutes on the phone with them, I can’t say enough good things about them.

XC90Mk1 Sep 13th, 2018 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2447407)
Go into eBay and find Cafyns Volvo Eastbourne. Email Ashley or Chris and they will find you the exact kit based on your model and send it through fairly priced. I have bought discs, pads, service items and consumables, gaskets and washers etc without ever having a problem. When I have had difficulties identifying something I have spent 10 or 15 minutes on the phone with them, I can’t say enough good things about them.

Just to say I am not related to the dealership or persons at all and that they are also good over the phone.

Dereletoile Sep 14th, 2018 07:34

Dear XC90Mk1,

Thanks for that suggestion.

No joy via eBay but I've found their web-site and I'll try them today.

best wishes

Derek