Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 Body/Trim: Retro fitting folding wing mirrors (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299848)

Bashy Oct 24th, 2019 07:49

Retro fitting folding wing mirrors

Hi folks, been a while, just come back to Volvo with a 56 V70 D5 SE, sadly it does not have folding mirrors, so my question is, can i add them, i dont need auto folding, although, that would be a bonus but i believe its not that simple, so just power folding is what i am looking for, can they be added easily, ie, does the wiring loom already have the connections needed or is it a lot more in depth that just replacing the mirrors?

reggit Oct 24th, 2019 08:29

You’ll also need the software downloading from Volvo to make them work as far as I know.

Clan Oct 24th, 2019 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2565514)
Hi folks, been a while, just come back to Volvo with a 56 V70 D5 SE, sadly it does not have folding mirrors, so my question is, can i add them, i dont need auto folding, although, that would be a bonus but i believe its not that simple, so just power folding is what i am looking for, can they be added easily, ie, does the wiring loom already have the connections needed or is it a lot more in depth that just replacing the mirrors?

here you go:

https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...CC-425312/2006

Bashy Nov 9th, 2019 02:18

Thanks guys, i was hoping it would be as simple as swapping mine over, but i suppose that they must go through a MU of some sort 1st, so whilst acquiring the mirrors relatively low cost 2nd user, it will be the programming by Volvo that will cost the bomb.

DT19 Nov 9th, 2019 08:36

There is another way.

On my last car (S60 2003) I added folding mirrors and they worked perfectly.

Physically fitting them on the car was easy and the solution to the software part was a Canbus Function Extender (CFE) made by Volvotech (Now known as V-Division).

It adds loads of other features apart from the folding mirror function. The latest version has WiFi but there are other versions available which are a bit cheaper. You'd be fine with the classic or V2.

Bashy Nov 10th, 2019 04:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT19 (Post 2570230)
There is another way.

On my last car (S60 2003) I added folding mirrors and they worked perfectly.

Physically fitting them on the car was easy and the solution to the software part was a Canbus Function Extender (CFE) made by Volvotech (Now known as V-Division).

It adds loads of other features apart from the folding mirror function. The latest version has WiFi but there are other versions available which are a bit cheaper. You'd be fine with the classic or V2.

Thanks for the reply, still quite a cost is the canbus, although i couldnt see a classic etc, Just how dear is it for someone to reprogram my existing as opposed to the canbus?

DT19 Nov 10th, 2019 08:40

It is for a brand new one but the older ones do come up for sale on here from time to time. You might need a cable harness as well but they're about £15.

Keep in mind it does loads of other functions as well.

Bashy Nov 10th, 2019 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by DT19 (Post 2570567)
It is for a brand new one but the older ones do come up for sale on here from time to time. You might need a cable harness as well but they're about £15.

Keep in mind it does loads of other functions as well.

Thanks, do you know what it would cost roughly for a garage to reprogram if i chose that route and does it have to be main dealer?

Clan Nov 10th, 2019 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bashy (Post 2570571)
Thanks, do you know what it would cost roughly for a garage to reprogram if i chose that route and does it have to be main dealer?

why don't you just get a quote from a volvo dealer or authorised repairer ?
The labour time should not be more than 20 minutes and the software could be as little as £20 .. at least the car will all be " correct" as far as software goes next time it is connected up at the dealer ..

I See the V Division web site is using Volvo copyrighted Fonts :-)

DT19 Nov 15th, 2019 15:13

Are they Clan? That's a bit naughty. A bit pointless as well really as there are plenty of free fonts they could use that look similar or at least near enough.

It's a good point that Clan makes, it's worth asking a dealer for the price, you might be surprised.

Failing that, I was thinking you could just wire it direct to a switch but then I thought why not add in an Arduino board, with a bit of programming you could automate the operation easily.