Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   400 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   wont cach, is it damp? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=171874)

Anadinolin Jan 29th, 2013 08:36

wont cach, is it damp?

Hi All,

got a problem with my 460 :( it turns over but wont cach/fire. its a damp day down here, could that be the cause? the HT leads look ok, but i may replace them as a matter of course, the MoT is due today aswell and iv allready paid my £40 early, just my luck. - iv also reached my recovery/breakdown limit with insurance yay >.<

can someone suggest anything? iv put WD40 round the spark plugs and the HT circuit

it did this the other day aswell, had to bump start it.

rustytoba Jan 29th, 2013 13:14

Have you tried taking the plugs out giving them a good clean and heating them up with a lighter or on a gas ring of a cooker, sometimes hot pluges will start easier.

Rusty

Anadinolin Jan 29th, 2013 13:32

are you getting confused with a diesel? :)

iv checked that the spark plugs are clean... they are still fairly brand new.do you think it could be fuel pump?

has anyone got some of this?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

rustytoba Jan 29th, 2013 17:58

No not getting confused,

Its an old method, by heating the spark pluk it in turn introduces heat into the cumbustion chamber, lessening the cooling properties of the air fuel mix as it enters the chamber on startup.

It can help a lot on a flooded engine

Rusty

Clan Jan 29th, 2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anadinolin (Post 1340740)
Hi All,

got a problem with my 460 :( it turns over but wont cach/fire. its a damp day down here, could that be the cause? the HT leads look ok, but i may replace them as a matter of course, the MoT is due today aswell and iv allready paid my £40 early, just my luck. - iv also reached my recovery/breakdown limit with insurance yay >.<

can someone suggest anything? iv put WD40 round the spark plugs and the HT circuit

it did this the other day aswell, had to bump start it.

It is mostr likely the distributor cap and rotor arm . try and buy genuine if you can they are so much better than cheap no name ones , even then their life span is only around 2 years ... next thing ,i would look at the coil ...
Get a hot air blower and dry off cthe outside of the cap and leads , and also undo the cap and look inside ..

Anadinolin Jan 30th, 2013 14:24

Took it to a garage in the end, it wouldnt start no matter what i did...it passed the mot which is good news but mystery starting problem is still unknown at this present moment in time :(

Anadinolin Jan 31st, 2013 09:30

they found sludge in the fuel lines and filter, the pump was blocked. (filter was changed last month)

not quite sure what caused that as i normally fill up at half a tank

also 2 of the HT leads have burnt out and where starting to Arc onto the engine and the rubber round the connectors where perished that wouldnt help matters much, i replaced those today, they are just cheap ones till i get more money to buy higher quality types :)

she runs now hehe, hopefully there will be no more running problems.

dcw Feb 1st, 2013 09:15

Sorry to hear you found a whole cluster of problems! Sounds rather like age taking its toll...

Still - fairly easily sorted by the sound of it, and I'm glad you are up and running again!

David