Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   '96 850 TDI 2.5 fuel pump/injector relay? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=184197)

tallrob Jul 9th, 2013 14:33

'96 850 TDI 2.5 fuel pump/injector relay?

Hi all,

I have an engine cut-out problem which is nearly reproduceable under the right conditions. On a hot day, after driving a while on the motorway at high speed, once I slow down, stop and then try to accelerate, the engine cuts out. It will start up again after a minute, with the Lambda light illuminated for the rest of the trip.

I've been reading and reading about fuel pump relay problems, air in the fuel line and fuel filter clogs. So I figured I'd start with the filter and the relay. I think I know where the filter is, but I can't find the relay anywhere! I've looked under the fuse box, where I think it should be located, but I only see a big green relay labelled "light control" and three smaller black ones, each with a "J" on it.

Can someone please tell me where to find the fuel pump relay and how to identify it?

Rob

Baffler Jul 10th, 2013 01:44

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not 100% sure but according to VIDA it's located top right of the radiator.

See below:

tallrob Jul 10th, 2013 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baffler (Post 1448179)
I'm not 100% sure but according to VIDA it's located top right of the radiator.

That's the first I've heard of that location. I'll check it out and report back.

Edit: nope. Nothing there. The cooling fan relay is there and I can see a slot for two other relays but they're both empty. Strange.

xhasgone Jan 30th, 2021 18:32

Rekay

Hi Rob,

It's been 10-years since you posted but I have to ask you where is the location of the fuel pump relay I have a 1996 lhd Volvo 850 TDI which I bought with this issue when you fire it up it keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse my mechanic found some relays under the main fuse box on the n/s but he cant get to them he says there is a one with a 103 number on it.

If you get this message j would appreciate a reply to
jimcrickuk@aol.com

Cheers Jim..

tallrob Jan 30th, 2021 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by xhasgone (Post 2704787)
Hi Rob,

It's been 10-years since you posted but I have to ask you where is the location of the fuel pump relay I have a 1996 lhd Volvo 850 TDI which I bought with this issue when you fire it up it keeps blowing the fuel pump fuse my mechanic found some relays under the main fuse box on the n/s but he cant get to them he says there is a one with a 103 number on it.

If you get this message j would appreciate a reply to
jimcrickuk@aol.com

Cheers Jim..

Hey Jim, really sorry but we never located the relay and never really fixed the problem. Ours didn’t blow the fuse, so I’m not sure the relay was actually the issue. I’m guessing it was the pump itself. We sold the car 6 years ago, and really miss it. Driving a plastic Ford now, with many of its own issues.

Did you check the location described in the photo, near the radiator? I’d check that 103 with the fuse diagram, see if it references it.

Sorry I couldn’t help. I’ll copy this message to your email.

Good luck
Rob