Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Brakes: "Brake Fluid Low - Service Urgent" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=46464)

dhearn Oct 26th, 2007 09:54

"Brake Fluid Low - Service Urgent"

I have a 6 month old XC90, 7500 miles on the clock and was alarmed to get the warning "Brake Fluid Low - Service Urgent" and lots of red lights.

When I checked the brake fluid it was and is actually on "Max" and the brakes work fine.

Curiously the warning only kicks in sometimes after about 15 - 30 minutes of driving. I am assuming there must be an issue with a sensor. Maybe something thermal. There seem to be 3 sensors on tank.

I'm booked for this to be looked at under Warranty. My worst fear is that the dealer will not be able to recreate the problem.

For interest has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so what was the issue?

Multiplex Oct 30th, 2007 18:42

Does the weather have any effect as to when the fault occurs - does it happen moire during/shortly after it has been raining?

Clan Oct 30th, 2007 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhearn (Post 308917)
I have a 6 month old XC90, 7500 miles on the clock and was alarmed to get the warning "Brake Fluid Low - Service Urgent" and lots of red lights.

When I checked the brake fluid it was and is actually on "Max" and the brakes work fine.

Curiously the warning only kicks in sometimes after about 15 - 30 minutes of driving. I am assuming there must be an issue with a sensor. Maybe something thermal. There seem to be 3 sensors on tank.

I'm booked for this to be looked at under Warranty. My worst fear is that the dealer will not be able to recreate the problem.

For interest has anyone else experienced anything similar? If so what was the issue?

Yes in my case it was the reservoir faulty on a 2007 model year XC90 it will need a new reservoir , get your garage to send a technical report as it will help the process for fixing this problem ...

dhearn Oct 30th, 2007 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 311427)
Yes in my case it was the reservoir faulty on a 2007 model year XC90 it will need a new reservoir, get your garage to send a technical report as it will help the process for fixing this problem ...

Interestingly the system was checked today, no fault found and they did not replace the reservoir. Out of interest, do you know more specifically what the fault was in your case?

Somehow I've got a feeling I'll see this fault again.

D

Clan Oct 30th, 2007 22:28

exactly the same, intermittant... but when you look into it you can see that it cant be anything other than the switch in the reservoir, being a serious issue you would think they would take your word for it that the low brake fluid message came up and change the reservoir .