Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Insurance companys at it (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303594)

madspark01 Feb 14th, 2020 19:18

Insurance companys at it

I changed cars from a c4 grand Picasso to an xc90 when I went to transfer insurance to Volvo they wanted £390 additional premium to cover till mid May.
so obviously didn't use them so I canceled policy further £56 to do that.
went on the comparison sites and was getting quotes of £670 - £730 to to same day so I decided to change start date to 12th and policy for year dropped to £380
Couldn't work that one out but took it so now happily running about in Volvo :teeth_smile:

Dastardly Diesel Feb 14th, 2020 19:29

I had a similar experience when I acquired my XC90.

190 quid for the year fully comp on the Meerkat, or about the same for 6 months if I swapped my existing policy over. I paid the cancellation fee and told them to stick it. I could stomach a 10 or 20 quid admin fee for quitting, but 50 is simply blatant profiteering, bending the customer over and invading them just because they can.

Insurers are downright crooks, and while I wouldn't condone law breaking find I have little trouble sleeping when people do make fraudulent claims and get away with it. It's alright for insurers to shaft the honest and law abiding, so they're in no position to complain when someone does it back.

EssexExile Feb 14th, 2020 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel (Post 2600198)
...I have little trouble sleeping when people do make fraudulent claims and get away with it...

Thus increasing your premium!

Dastardly Diesel Feb 14th, 2020 21:24

It's not like the insurers decrease my premium when they make more money.

Clan Feb 14th, 2020 21:37

Always do your insurance renewals or quotes 21 days before yours expires , bargains to be had...

Thekilt Feb 14th, 2020 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2600239)
Always do your insurance renewals or quotes 21 days before yours expires , bargains to be had...

+1 for this. Insurance companies see you as “high risk” when buying insurance quickly (can’t see the logic) I had the same when buying our second car, I actually waited an extra 2 weeks to pick it up purely to reduce the premium by £100!

BrianH Feb 15th, 2020 20:30

Insurance for my 245

Thanks DASTARDLY DIESEL.

Followed up Meerkat and wow I'm going to SAVE £100's in March with the Volvo and the Toyota.

BrianH 740 000mls LPG

XCR Feb 15th, 2020 22:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssexExile (Post 2600212)
Thus increasing your premium!

Do you really think thats how it works ?
Who tells us this ? Why, its those fine straight dealing insurance companies !

If I suffered a burglary or god forbid a fire at my shop, I would hardly open the doors again and double the prices now could I ? Thats a risk and consequence of business....that I would not attempt to make my loyal customers pay for....

In 30 years I have claimed twice. Once was a theft from the driveway (a walk in burglary) and the other was when my son ran into the back of another car in a rainstorm shortly after passing his test in my car. Fun times.....

Both straightforward claims you would think, that we had PAID TO BE INSURED AGAINST right ?
Wrong.
My god, never a bunch of downright, underhand liars have I had the misfortune of dealing with....excepting letting agents, landlords, property buyers and their solicitors of course....

Remember when retailers used to bleat on about how shoplifters were creating costly prices of goods ? Then along came improved security and CCTV, banning orders for the worst offenders and improved detection methods with our High Streets now bristling with cameras....ah, that'll explain why goods are now really cheap then ? Oh, hang on....

Remember this though guys, under the distance selling regulations you have 7 days in which to cancel your policy. If they then demand a silly amount to change horses, just threaten to cancel and watch their attitude change. It works for me each time.

Wagon Sailor Feb 15th, 2020 23:25

The thing I find irritating is when they ask you what sorts of quotes you've already had. The charges are market-driven and there's normally scope for a re-quote.

daveyb Feb 16th, 2020 01:26

What gets me is that it would cost me more to insure a xc90 than it does to insure a 300bhp t5 with. Business use