Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Volvo D2 such a slow car. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310912)

ThomasC91 Oct 16th, 2020 13:54

Volvo D2 such a slow car.

I have the D2 R Design and does anyone else think it is slow?

From stop to 60mph is just painful, something like 11.2 seconds and unless you have a clear long road and then forget overtaking.

I have had it for 6 years, 2014 plate and have recently been looking at P/X it for a BMW 330D or something. To start with I thought it was quite nippy, but maybe I have just got too use to it.

It is economical, I get between late 50s, early 60s and do some dual carriage driving, but not motorways.

Anyone else think it's a bit of a snail?

I currently have the driver's rear door saga, but we won't mention that. :tongwink::shocked:

JonnyA Oct 16th, 2020 16:35

In comparasion with the D3 (wifes) and D4 (mothers) of the same vintage, and having had a D2 from the dealer a few times as a courtesy car over the years, then I would say, 'Yes!' - they lack any go and definately they're not going to light the place up.
so much 'slowness' that my mum (at age 70) tried the D2 and walked away from the V40, that is untill she tried the D4.

Thassos Oct 16th, 2020 22:05

da D2

Not sure what volvo did with the D2, as you say performance can be a bit lacklustre, have driven a c30 d2 and that was not bad (although i had a new turbo at before 100k), also tried a V40 D2 and also not a great match, the psa diesel isnt bad tho in a lighter car like a peug 308 i wonder what the kerb weight of the volvo is ?, one thing they respond well to is maintenance like swapping air filter and oil even before due time, have you tried taking a look at the air filter, the turbo is teensy so maybe more affected by intake air restriction ? just a theory..

ThomasC91 Oct 17th, 2020 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyA (Post 2673632)
In comparasion with the D3 (wifes) and D4 (mothers) of the same vintage, and having had a D2 from the dealer a few times as a courtesy car over the years, then I would say, 'Yes!' - they lack any go and definately they're not going to light the place up.
so much 'slowness' that my mum (at age 70) tried the D2 and walked away from the V40, that is untill she tried the D4.

Yeah I've been looking at the D4. I love the look of the car and I think the interior beats a lot of other brands, just the power that lacks big time

ThomasC91 Oct 17th, 2020 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thassos (Post 2673727)
Not sure what volvo did with the D2, as you say performance can be a bit lacklustre, have driven a c30 d2 and that was not bad (although i had a new turbo at before 100k), also tried a V40 D2 and also not a great match, the psa diesel isnt bad tho in a lighter car like a peug 308 i wonder what the kerb weight of the volvo is ?, one thing they respond well to is maintenance like swapping air filter and oil even before due time, have you tried taking a look at the air filter, the turbo is teensy so maybe more affected by intake air restriction ? just a theory..

I'll have a look at the air filter. I just normally get it serviced and let them do all of that. Yeah I had a C30 before this and I liked it...quite unique looking car.

Thassos Oct 22nd, 2020 21:16

datecodes

Have a look at the datecode on the filter element, most brands have them, once upon a time was using a volvo dealer for servicing a company car i had up to about 60k miles , i ended up buying the car and thought ild have a look at the air filter .. guess what it had the original air filter in there .. well many years later said dealer is no longer around, so its always worth checking stuff, although not easy on other service items..

Buckshot61 Oct 24th, 2020 20:10

You can get 20 extra hp with BSR but iīm not sure if itīs worth the money. Itīs probably better to get a D4.