Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Volvo RTI SatNav > Tomtom (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=116998)

hancym Feb 17th, 2011 11:34

Volvo RTI SatNav > Tomtom

This is a real shot in the dark but I don't suppose there is any way of running TomTom on the built in system rather than the Volvo SatNav?

reggie59 Feb 18th, 2011 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancym (Post 843539)
This is a real shot in the dark but I don't suppose there is any way of running TomTom on the built in system rather than the Volvo SatNav?

That's would be nice. I posted a thread a while ago. I think we should all write to Volvo and ask our money back on the basis that the sat nav iS not for for purpose. Volvo should simply switch to tom-tom software and offer a free of charge upgrade to existing owner.

I use the car for business and this sat nav has wasted so much of my time I now use my 5 years old tom-tom 1

hancym Feb 21st, 2011 21:31

I've noticed on the internet there are a number of video clips of what appears to be standard Volvo RTI units running TomTom.

The problem is they are all in foreign languages so I can't understand what they are saying or if there is any explanation as to how it's been done.

I used the Volvo system for the first time today to find the main road in a small Norfolk village and it was not listed! It's the latest version from Volvo too!

Can anyone please shed some light on how these units have been converted?

RoyMacDonald Feb 21st, 2011 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by reggie59 (Post 844205)
That's would be nice. I posted a thread a while ago. I think we should all write to Volvo and ask our money back on the basis that the sat nav iS not for for purpose. Volvo should simply switch to tom-tom software and offer a free of charge upgrade to existing owner.

I use the car for business and this sat nav has wasted so much of my time I now use my 5 years old tom-tom 1

Invest in a new TomTom with HD traffic. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

hancym Feb 22nd, 2011 01:51

I want to utilise the hardware alread in the car.

Banzai Feb 22nd, 2011 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by hancym (Post 847155)
I want to utilise the hardware alread in the car.

There are a few vids on youtube of volvos with modded sat nav screens to show DVD etc. have a look for some ideas.

I do seem to remember seeing somewhere a car where the RTI screen was removed and something else put in its place which I *think* was a tom tom screen but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it.

indiebands Feb 22nd, 2011 12:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banzai (Post 847191)
There are a few vids on youtube of volvos with modded sat nav screens to show DVD etc. have a look for some ideas.

I do seem to remember seeing somewhere a car where the RTI screen was removed and something else put in its place which I *think* was a tom tom screen but for the life of me I can't remember where I saw it.

I would love that solution. I always have the CrapNav screen up so that I have ready access to the Rear Park Assist Camera (which I love). But I use my TomTom 950 for navigation. It would be ideal to retrofit a TomTom to pop up.

XCF Feb 22nd, 2011 12:32

Plenty of people in Europe have fitted Volvo like screens (see http://www.volvotech.eu) and then input a Sat Nav source from a stand alone device such as Garmin GVN-53.

There are other options now including touchscreen similar to this
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...p?113238/page4

and Peter (Elliot2) can supply and install a touch screen contolled sat nav for those without original Volvo. The display looks identical to the Volvo (it rises / falls on ingnition) but it is touchscreen controlled.

The Sat Nav is Win CE based - running PolNav, or others (IGO / Tom Tom if you want to install yourself). The Polnav option looks good -EU Maps, speed limit shown on all roads, audible / visible speed camera database.

The screens all accept multiple inputs ( DVD player for use when stationary, rear camera etc) and will switch automatically.

For those with Volvo Sat Nav I think Pete also stated he could input an alternate source ( guess he would use the device Best Gear mentioned to input an alternate source to the display and then pipe in something like the GVN-53 or WinCE based Sat Nav but it would have to be controlled via remote control as the original screen is not touch enabled).

There was also someone in US who took the original screen out and fitted a Garmin device into the frame of the Volvo screen. Lot of work and unless your Sat Nav had died not likely to be something many would want to do to a new cars Sat Nav device - is the Volvo system really that bad ??

hancym Feb 22nd, 2011 13:09

Would really love to use all the steering wheel controls and the voice breakthrough on the sound system etc., but with TomTom. Just thought there MUST be someone out there in the world with all the knowledge who was thinking the same and has gone ahead and done it.

What's in the box that runs the RTI, does anyone know? Is it hardware only or firmware too? What OS does it run? There are only a few ways to skin a cat so it must be running a know OS Linux or or an OS similar to a PDA surely?

RoyMacDonald Feb 24th, 2011 23:48

3 Attachment(s)
There is a very nice Sony sat nav that uses TomTom maps and software including HD traffic. I haven't seen a price for it though. It has a very big screen 6.1" double din.

It's about £750.