Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : Starting Problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77742)

KrisSWFC Aug 4th, 2009 19:18

Starting Problem

Any advice greatly received!

My 2007 V50 2.0D has had an intermitent starting fault since last Autumn on6000 miles and is still happening now on 36000.

Whenever it is wet the car either just turns over but doesnt start or fires up and the revs are very low and cuts out about 5 seconds later, if you then try to restart it fires up first time ands runs perfectly.

Two different dealers have looked at it on the last couple of services but as no fault codes are showing up they are non the wiser.

Whilst its not a major problem I want it sorting as the car is due for a service shortly and I want to push the dealer in the right direction!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

TonyM Aug 5th, 2009 08:52

I know nothing about this particular engine but from experience of other engines, maybe the fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator is faulty - taking a while to get up to the required pressure.

If you pause for 30 seconds between switching on the ignition and starting the engine this will give the pressure more time to build up. If it starts OK when you're doing that then I'd say you've found the problem.

spcv50 Aug 5th, 2009 14:06

Got an 08 2.0DSe with the same problem so it must be a common issue.

Sent it in to Volvo last week for the repair, where they claimed it had "coked up". One week on I have the same problem so its going back next week.

will let you know what their next guess is.

7050man Aug 5th, 2009 19:59

If problem is only in wet, then I'd consider an electrical connection.

If engine turns, then fuel supply/control would also be my guess too. Has car ever been misfuelled? If so pump may have been damaged perhaps.

There are not as far as I'm aware any known issues with poor starting on these engines.

Good luck

KrisSWFC Aug 5th, 2009 20:10

Hi

Thanks for your advice, the car has never been misfueled but I know both dealers initially thought about air in the fuel but both say they have checked this.

SPCV50 could you let me know how you go on with yours?

Many Thanks

spcv50 Aug 28th, 2009 13:48

Sent in for the second time and no fix.

They had it for the day and because it started everytime they tried it, they have not done anything.

Said to me if it continues to take it back and they will hold the car for a week.

so problem continues.

incidentally the original fix was to clean the ECG?

Going to run it for another month.

Marmoset Sep 3rd, 2009 10:42

Mine does this (54 plate) and has probably done it about 10 times in the 4.5 years I've had the car. It's got 106k on it now so I assume it's as above and just a temporary fuel pressure issue - there appears to be no pattern to when it happens, it's done this over the years so not mileage related, and the car runs perfectly otherwise.

Troutbone Sep 7th, 2009 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrisSWFC (Post 541943)
Any advice greatly received!

My 2007 V50 2.0D has had an intermitent starting fault since last Autumn on6000 miles and is still happening now on 36000.

Whenever it is wet the car either just turns over but doesnt start or fires up and the revs are very low and cuts out about 5 seconds later, if you then try to restart it fires up first time ands runs perfectly.

Two different dealers have looked at it on the last couple of services but as no fault codes are showing up they are non the wiser.

Whilst its not a major problem I want it sorting as the car is due for a service shortly and I want to push the dealer in the right direction!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Does this problem happen when engine is hot, cold or both?
Does the cranking speed seem normal when it happens?

KrisSWFC Sep 7th, 2009 19:29

Still no nearer forward, cranking speed is the same, the car can be hot or cold but normally it wont start when it is damp outside.

Dealer has checked the car out again for all the obvious stuff nothing found no fault codes etc.

On the verge of trading it in for a new V70 so unfortunately some new owner will inherit this problem!

rippedoffagain Sep 7th, 2009 20:10

I don't know on this car, but it sounds very like an issue that affected some Vauxhall Vectras until Vauxhall give in to pressure and sorted it.

On the Vectra, it manifested its self as random starting problems after the car had been left for any length of time (hours rather than days). It turned out that fuel was leaking back down the fuel line into the tank, so air pockets were forming in the fuel rail. You try to start it, the fuel pump pressurises it all, including the air, and it takes a bit to work the air lock through.

Ordinary owners solved the problem in the first instance by fitting a non-return valve on the fuel line just before the injector rail. I think later Vauxhall did this as standard to some of their cars.

Of course that's an entirely different make and model to yours, so may not be the issue in your case.