Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   S40 mk2 headlight & sidelight out drivers side (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292337)

Joe7578 Mar 1st, 2019 18:13

S40 mk2 headlight & sidelight out drivers side

Hi all, I have a s40 2.4 r-design 2008. I was goin to work this morning & low beam fault come on dash. I checked when I got out & both headlight & sidelight on the drivers side was off. I have checked the bulbs & they are ok. I was told about this forum & that you would maybe be able to help. Thanks joe

LizardOfBodom Mar 4th, 2019 10:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe7578 (Post 2500092)
Hi all, I have a s40 2.4 r-design 2008. I was goin to work this morning & low beam fault come on dash. I checked when I got out & both headlight & sidelight on the drivers side was off. I have checked the bulbs & they are ok. I was told about this forum & that you would maybe be able to help. Thanks joe

Hi
first thing to do - pop the headlamp out and inspect the wiring connector that goes into lamp. Its a thick, multi-pin connector that may be loose or wires to it may be damaged. Spray some contact spray there, reconnect and put lamp in place. Test&report back and we will take it further.

btw does the long beam or indicator works on that lamp?

Joe7578 Mar 4th, 2019 19:25

Thanks for the reply. The indicator works on that side. Just the side light & headlight are out. I will have to check & report back when I get a chance. I don’t get much time to do anything with the shifts I do for work. Cheers

Joe7578 Mar 6th, 2019 11:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2500763)
Hi
first thing to do - pop the headlamp out and inspect the wiring connector that goes into lamp. Its a thick, multi-pin connector that may be loose or wires to it may be damaged. Spray some contact spray there, reconnect and put lamp in place. Test&report back and we will take it further.

btw does the long beam or indicator works on that lamp?

I have just took both headlights out & swapped passesnger one over to drivers. It has come on. I will try the contact spray when I pass a car shop. Failing that it will prob be a second hand headlight from the scrappers. Cheers

LizardOfBodom Mar 6th, 2019 11:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe7578 (Post 2501535)
I...Failing that it will prob be a second hand headlight from the scrappers. Cheers

before you do it, have a look at wiring inside the lamp - maybe just wires/connectors degraded a bit (loom from lamp socket to actual bulb), the ground cable is shared on parking/dipped beam so there may be just a small break in wire that is easily fixable. Unless there is signs of burned isolation/burned sockets etc, those things are usually simple to repair.