Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Wtf Volvo?!.. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284382)

Crockers Jul 25th, 2018 08:04

Then many will be saying "role on ios 12"

Philip Fisher Jul 25th, 2018 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloke69 (Post 2429272)
Google Maps with Google Assistant & Android auto.

you cannot go wrong with that

I am a bit more low tech than that. Google Maps and Android assistant running in a Brodit cradle and mount on the dash. I run it all the time for the live traffic - even though I know where I am going most of the time. Have only ever played with the in car sat nav out of curiosity - never actually used it in anger.....

In my experience all manufacturers' sat navs are vastly inferior to Google Maps, which always makes me wonder why people complain about them. I guess it is like complaining about the weather.

Quacker Jul 26th, 2018 22:22

I can’t be arsed with the tiny phone screen and it’s not practical to mount my 12" iPad near the dash. I find the Sensus satnav perfectly good and better than any Garmin system I’ve seen or used.
Yes, google maps is great, but not so great that i’ll use it instead of a car’s system, unless in town where substantial changes to roads or traffic flow have occurred since the car’s system was last updated. Even so I can generally engage brain and eyes and get where I want to go despite outdated maps. These things always tell you where you are and in which direction and show where you are relative to where you aim to be. It’s not rocket science.

AWM Jul 27th, 2018 10:25

I just ordered a XC60 T8 as a company car and I did quite a bit of research on t'internet comparing it with the usual suspects. It was surprising to read the near universal criticism everyone seems to have for the various inbuilt Sat-Navs.

As someone else has suggested earlier, it's amazing you can sell a 80K Euro car with these issues...

gaby Jul 27th, 2018 10:57

I am not one of these "near universal" complainers, I am quite happy with Sensus navigation. It is not,
as you suggest, an issue. Perhaps it has to do with my age, I was raised in a time that you learned to use
appreciate things the way they were. That attitude includes some patience to learn how to use things and
not, as seems to be more and more the case, discarting anything that departs even in the smallest way
from what is (felt as being) ideal. This attitude of mine may not be perfect, but it allowes me to appreciate
things that are trown away by others without trying to get to know them. It also safes me a lot of
frustrations, perhaps (probably?) even my marriage :teeth_smile:

bigcj Jul 27th, 2018 14:31

I am very content with my Sat Nav it always allows me to make the choice of which route I take based on the information available. A large clear map, polite instruction and plenty of time to get in the correct lane. There are occasions when I prefer to take a different route to the one it suggests but that is perhaps down to habit rather than a bad route. I do have an in car SIM fitted therefore the on screen information may be more comprehensive than standard but certainly no complaint from me.

Bernard F Jul 27th, 2018 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWM (Post 2430201)
I just ordered a XC60 T8 as a company car and I did quite a bit of research on t'internet comparing it with the usual suspects. It was surprising to read the near universal criticism everyone seems to have for the various inbuilt Sat-Navs.

As someone else has suggested earlier, it's amazing you can sell a 80K Euro car with these issues...

There is no universal criticism, only a small minority complain, the satisfied have nothing to write about and they are the majority. Don’t believe all you read form your own opinion after six months use and carefully read the manual to make sure you are getting the best out of it.

Philip Fisher Jul 27th, 2018 19:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2430089)
I can’t be arsed with the tiny phone screen and it’s not practical to mount my 12" iPad near the dash. I find the Sensus satnav perfectly good and better than any Garmin system I’ve seen or used.
Yes, google maps is great, but not so great that i’ll use it instead of a car’s system, unless in town where substantial changes to roads or traffic flow have occurred since the car’s system was last updated. Even so I can generally engage brain and eyes and get where I want to go despite outdated maps. These things always tell you where you are and in which direction and show where you are relative to where you aim to be. It’s not rocket science.

I understand your point on the screen size but as far as live traffic (which is my main requirement - I have a mental and physical map for directions) google has got it absolutely nailed and is so far above any of the other systems it is almost embarrassing.....

Quacker Jul 27th, 2018 22:42

Before now I've had a Garmin, a TomTom and a Mercedes sat-nav working in the same car and we came to a crossroads in Somerset somewhere, about 40 miles from the destination, and all three chose a different exit on the crossroads. None of us could believe it and the driver was completely flummoxed and just chose to drive straight on rather than turn left or right. We did actually get there. The worse thing about the Garmin was that it kept informing occupants loudly that it was 'Recalculating' if an alternative to its route was chosen, as if anyone cared. Recalculate in silence you nasty piece of plastic rubbish!
My new car [not a Volvo. Still got that] has Garmin sat-nav as standard in its head unit and from my limited use of it so far I suspect that it too proclaims that it is 'recalculating'. It's not the best head unit and the Garmin graphics are borderline infantile and garish compared to the previous car's and Volvo's.

SwissXC90 Jul 28th, 2018 07:17

My 2009 XC90 Volvo Sat Nav works very well and it's initial ETAs, after driving for many hours, are often only 1 or 2 minutes out.
The accuracy of the ETA is very dependent on local traffic and road conditions.

I can control it all from the steering wheel without taking my hands off the wheel
I can glance slightly to the right and see everything I need to know on the popup screen

It works well, in tunnels and on roads
The instructions are loud and clear and my brother in law said last week that the voice instructions were clearer and easier to listen to than his 2017 XC90.
He also said that he cannot call up overview maps and scroll so easily in his 2017 as I can in my 2009 XC90

Yes, the graphics are a 10 year old design But the rest of the car is also a 10 year old design. That's what you get when you have a 10 year old car.

But the sat nav works extremely well and has never missed a beat
And the map info is very good (I have the newest maps installed)

So overall very happy with the fully functional, full integrated nav system