Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Sachs 31255534 Alternative (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276059)

Tony500 Dec 15th, 2017 22:30

Sachs 31255534 Alternative

Looking to change both rear shocks due to one leaking and can hear it knock slightly when going over little bumps.

I can’t find an alternative for the Sachs 31255534 that’s fitted to my 09 v70 redesign.
Are mine self levelling or what? What can I swap them over to without paying almost £350 a side from Volvo?

Thanks

Model flyer Dec 19th, 2017 09:35

Any decent motor factors will advise of alternatives if there are any . Steer clear of the halfrauds and similar .

Tony500 Dec 20th, 2017 06:33

Is it a nivomat shock that is fitted to my car? I can’t find much info on it

Model flyer Dec 21st, 2017 08:35

I don't know but as said a decent car factor should be able to get correct spec just by giving them you reg . Failing that contact you local main dealer and give them the Vin no and they will be able to give you correct spec.

Tony500 Dec 22nd, 2017 09:38

I’ve phoned ecp and other factors and they all say my car wasn’t fitted it’s self leveling suspension, I then phoned Volvo and he wasn’t sure! I gave him the part number he told me it was fitted with self leveling.
£452.50 for a shock. There is an option to do a conversion but will need two normal shocks and replace the springs.

Model flyer Dec 22nd, 2017 12:11

That might be cheaper . but you will have to check the headlamp adjustment . Does your car have headlight adjuster on the dash or self adjusting HID headlamps ? If it does then changing to normal shocks will be fine . If it doesn't then headlamp adjustment will have to be fitted as beams will rise and dazzle oncoming cars when a load is carried.

Tatsfield Dec 22nd, 2017 15:43

I read in another thread IIRC, that the conversion is more than just the shocks and springs and the cost of doing it approaches the cost of the Nivomat replacements. Perhaps a "pre-used" pair from a reputable second hand spares dealer who would at least refund if the parts did not work upon installation would be a workable compromise.

Tony500 Dec 22nd, 2017 16:10

I think I will buy a second hand set from a low milage car.
Having a Volvo is fun 🙄.

NAD Dec 22nd, 2017 22:21

The standard shocks and nivomats look noticeably different to one another. If you take a rear wheel off and post a pic on here then people will tell you whether they are nivomats or not.
If they are definitely nivomats then I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that. There was a thread recently where someone got a pair for 650 I think. I will see if I can find it.

Tony500 Dec 24th, 2017 02:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAD (Post 2349990)
The standard shocks and nivomats look noticeably different to one another. If you take a rear wheel off and post a pic on here then people will tell you whether they are nivomats or not.
If they are definitely nivomats then I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that. There was a thread recently where someone got a pair for 650 I think. I will see if I can find it.

They are nivomats. I never knew if they were a heavy duty shock or what, I phoned Volvo and they had two types of suspension listed to my car.... I got confused and gave him the part number and confirmed it’s one of the options.

Got the car a few months ago, replaced the tyres, got a new dpf and got a new clutch/flywheel and other boys and bobs and the price of the shock alone is frightening. If I buy two from Volvo that’s around 1/4 of the price that my car is worth.