Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Stale fuel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276537)

Groundes-Peace Jan 1st, 2018 19:59

Stale fuel

Last filled my 1800S with fuel in early October.
Despite having a strong battery the engine would not start. Fuel is getting to the carbs. In the morning tomorrow I intend to get a can of Holts Bradex Easy Start, and seeing if this does the trick.
I am hoping adding some fresh fuel will allow the car to restart as usual.
Thinking back when I have left the car for a couple of months previously it has taken at least a minute or more of cranking before the engine would "fire". In the past I have been of the view this was just due to the time taken to draw fuel to the carbs (with the car's standard fuel pump). Now I am wondering if this is also a sign of stale fuel.
Thoughts?

JIM C Jan 1st, 2018 20:01

I have had my Amazon sit for months and never had an issue with stale fuel.

classicswede Jan 1st, 2018 20:29

The fuel is probably gone off by now but should still run.

Rather than easy start I would just use carb cleaner or Lynx to help starting.

Are you on an electric pump now?

Dippydog Jan 1st, 2018 20:37

I know it's a different set up-injection v carb-and a different engine-Vauxhall v Volvo-but my Omega sat unused for a year,was started up-a fully charged battery]and run under half a mile to my then newly acquired lock up and then stood for the biggest part of another year.When started again acouple of months ago it didn't run particularly well until fresh fuel was added at a local petrol station,so I can't see the fuel in yours having gone "stale"enough to stop it firing up.I'd check the carb[s],make sure the jets ate clear etc and go from there,I would never ever use easy start or similar products-but that's just me-it's your call.

arcturus Jan 2nd, 2018 09:05

Millers oils do an additive that you put in the tank prior to putting car away for the winter. helps stop tank corrosion and makes re starting easier. If you are think of storing you car for a long time I think that it's best to fill the tank.

Simmy Jan 2nd, 2018 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groundes-Peace (Post 2352970)
Last filled my 1800S with fuel in early October.
Despite having a strong battery the engine would not start. Fuel is getting to the carbs. In the morning tomorrow I intend to get a can of Holts Bradex Easy Start, and seeing if this does the trick.
I am hoping adding some fresh fuel will allow the car to restart as usual.
Thinking back when I have left the car for a couple of months previously it has taken at least a minute or more of cranking before the engine would "fire". In the past I have been of the view this was just due to the time taken to draw fuel to the carbs (with the car's standard fuel pump). Now I am wondering if this is also a sign of stale fuel.
Thoughts?

todays petrol with ethanol added can eat away at rubber fuel lines on older cars. check float bowls and jets for debris:car:

Uplander Jan 2nd, 2018 12:44

Petrol goes stale in a tank after only 3 months? Really?

arcturus Jan 2nd, 2018 14:03

http://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/tank-safe/353

Have a look at this

Tim Glover Jan 2nd, 2018 14:50

I have had cars sit for two years or more and then start no problem on the fuel that was in when parked up and I have had cars that have sat for a few months and then not started because the petrol had gone stale. I think these days it very much depends on the 'batch' of fuel.

Derek UK Jan 2nd, 2018 14:57

Might not be fuel, might be no spark. With the current damp/wet/snowy weather your electrics may need a spray and wipe down with WD-40. Don't forget the inside of the cap. Spray some on a rag and wipe around the inside.