Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   S60 Stereo/DVD: (and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=40948)

Alpha206 Jul 20th, 2007 17:54

(and V70) - Software Driven Electronics - eBay users beware!

Software Driven Electronics.

Most electronic main units on post 2000 model year cars once fitted and the software uploaded to them become chassis specific - in other words THEY WILL NOT WORK IN ANOTHER VEHICLE.

These include radio/stereo head units (AUM), CD players (IAM), self dipping rear view mirrors (UEM), speedo heads (DIM) and several others to name but a few.

The dealers cannot over write the software in these units. Also second hand integrated key fobs (KIR) cannot be re-programmed to another car even by the dealers. Although these need a software download to be programmed, the dealer also needs the two unique codes that are supplied with the original packaging for each remote. These codes are not kept on record.

Pedro Fandango Jul 20th, 2007 18:00

so all the time & effort making cars more enviromentally friendly emmission wise is nicely being counteracted by not being able to recycle components, instead any car written off in a crash is no good to anyone & has to be left to rot. Sound like a good plan to me :rawrrrrr:

TJMurphy Jul 20th, 2007 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedro Fandango (Post 266061)
so all the time & effort making cars more enviromentally friendly emmission wise is nicely being counteracted by not being able to recycle components, instead any car written off in a crash is no good to anyone & has to be left to rot. Sound like a good plan to me :rawrrrrr:

But then from a theft point of view there's not much point in someone nicking the car for parts either ...

I'm sure there's an element of both to be honest. I'm also surprised at the list - why the rear view mirror but not the climate control unit for example? Or is it just 'cos it's not a complete list?

Tony

Pedro Fandango Jul 20th, 2007 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJMurphy (Post 266071)
But then from a theft point of view there's not much point in someone nicking the car for parts either ...

I'm sure there's an element of both to be honest. I'm also surprised at the list - why the rear view mirror but not the climate control unit for example? Or is it just 'cos it's not a complete list?

i agree with what your saying but SAAB use a similiar system (or did pre-vauxhall) but were quite happy for main dealers to "divorce" an item from a car & "marry" it to another for you. Its all about the money :wink_smile:

Clan Jul 20th, 2007 18:29

yes the rear view mirror is an "Upper electronic Module " as well so no good for another car.

CTCNetwork Jul 21st, 2007 11:32

Hi,

I'll be sticking to my V90 and 940 then... :)

Des. . . ;)

Paul Clifton Jul 23rd, 2007 21:44

Control units

No its not a complete list and the climate unit (CCM) would be another.

Paul.

readview Aug 15th, 2007 12:01

Hi,i have fitted a used cd/radio/tape to an ex police V70 '01 that we had in and it worked without problem,i know a lot of the componentry is software driven as stated but it's not a hard and fast rule that nothing can be used,i have also used the climate control units and the window switches,although you cannot use only the master switch,if using secondhand you MUST use the full set from one vehicle,as close to your year as you can find to improve the chances of success.Rear view mirrors cannot be used at all,nor can the remotes,unless you need to "re-shell" a damaged housing.I get a lot of people asking to buy all manner of parts secondhand,etm's etc included,and i cannot believe that they buy the bits and then all just say "sod it" and throw them away.However,for ease of maintainance and cost of repair i'll be sticking to my 850T5's for as long as i can keep them running ! 235K and still blowing the baseball hats off chavs.Love it !!

BobS Aug 15th, 2007 15:12

Hi Readview,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the Radio/CD unit I was told (can't verify as not change mine) that the Radio unit will fit and work but the Steering Wheel radio controls will not work. Any ex plod V70 that I have seen hasn't got these controls on the Steering Wheel.

Bob

Clan Aug 15th, 2007 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobS (Post 275969)
Hi Readview,

Thanks for the info. Regarding the Radio/CD unit I was told (can't verify as not change mine) that the Radio unit will fit and work but the Steering Wheel radio controls will not work. Any ex plod V70 that I have seen hasn't got these controls on the Steering Wheel.

Bob

And the display won't light up either