Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Events and Meetings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   RWD Rally 2007 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=24286)

Velorum Sep 9th, 2006 17:24

RWD Rally 2007

Hi all

I have searched through the forum archives and VOC website and cant see any references to rally's specifically for 240's. Have their been any does anyone know?

The reason I ask is that whilst we were in France a few weeks ago I suggested that we think about driving down to Monte Carlo next year - Ive never been and thought that it might be fun. I used to be a member of the mini owners club and remember that they often do a Monte Carlo rally so started thinking about this as regards 240's. Ive been ruminating on it since we returned and mentioned it to my wife today - much to my suprise she suggested that I see if any other 240 owners would be interested.

I was thinking along the lines of investigating a camp site near to Monte Carlo, and then setting a deadline for participants to arrive. A small entrance fee could cover the cost of a grill plaque and deposit for the campsite.

Ive never organised a car rally before but used to be a committe member at a boat club and participated in arranging a number of boat rally's both in this country and abroad.

Im just kicking the idea around at the moment - anyone interested or have comments?

Regards
Ian

Velorum Sep 10th, 2006 18:44

Oh dear - just realised that I have posted this in the wrong section!

Dear administrator - any chance of this being moved to the events section?

Steve Curtis Sep 14th, 2006 16:46

To my knowledge the last 200 series specific meeting was at the gaydon motor musem in 1997 when I was like 12. I'm now 21 and own the car that we took to that event. I have recently been thinking of sugesting a 200 series rally. I know the 200 series register keeper paul cliffton has tried to organise some in the past but there has not been enough suport. I think though with the advent of the forum there has been a rekindled enthusiasim for the 200 series cars and believe a rally is well in order. Perhaps if we could get a show of hands via this post paul cliffton would be persuaded to organise somthing. failling that I would be well up for organising an event.

Perhaps you or I should post up in the 200 series forum directing people to this post?

Regarding the monte carlo rally that seems like an awsome Idea I love a good road trip. I am in the process of rebuilding my 245 and it is off the road so I would be up for it as long as it's next summer or somthing. I don't think it would be asking to much to charge a small fee for plaques and camping stuff.

Velorum Sep 14th, 2006 20:13

A reply!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for that Steve.

I figure that if we can get half a dozen cars then we can go with it. I would have thought that at least that many would be interested. Good idea about posting this in the 240 technical section - I wil get onto it right now.

Hopefully, the ball is now rolling!

tuning_redblock Sep 14th, 2006 20:23

Hello Ian and Steve, if the monte carlo isn't set in stone, how about Le mans next year?

I was reading retro cars or PPC this month and they did it, it looked a hell of alot of fun and I considered it for next year with my partner in my project 240 :), either way I'm up for it, I need a holiday and a road trip would be fun!!

Regards Andi

Velorum Sep 14th, 2006 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Curtis (Post 147100)
To my knowledge the last 200 series specific meeting was at the gaydon motor musem in 1997 when I was like 12. I'm now 21 and own the car that we took to that event. I have recently been thinking of sugesting a 200 series rally. I know the 200 series register keeper paul cliffton has tried to organise some in the past but there has not been enough suport. I think though with the advent of the forum there has been a rekindled enthusiasim for the 200 series cars and believe a rally is well in order. Perhaps if we could get a show of hands via this post paul cliffton would be persuaded to organise somthing. failling that I would be well up for organising an event.

Perhaps you or I should post up in the 200 series forum directing people to this post?

Regarding the monte carlo rally that seems like an awsome Idea I love a good road trip. I am in the process of rebuilding my 245 and it is off the road so I would be up for it as long as it's next summer or somthing. I don't think it would be asking to much to charge a small fee for plaques and camping stuff.

I was thinking of late summer next year but am open to suggestions.

Some more thoughts:

Aim to set aside 5 days for the whole thing
2 days to get there - 1 day there - 2 days back (obviously some would want to stay longer!)
Time limit to get there
Once there - BBQ - awards for:furthest distance travelled, oldest car - anything else we can think of

Ian

Velorum Sep 14th, 2006 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuning_redblock (Post 147236)
Hello Ian and Steve, if the monte carlo isn't set in stone, how about Le mans next year?

I was reading retro cars or PPC this month and they did it, it looked a hell of alot of fun and I considered it for next year with my partner in my project 240 :), either way I'm up for it, I need a holiday and a road trip would be fun!!

Regards Andi

Hi Andi

At this stage nothing is set in stone! Le mans isnt very far - I was driving my 240 very near to there a few weeks ago!

Lets see what other responses we get.

Ian

Velorum Sep 14th, 2006 22:37

Just checked out 'Tulip' - if we do get a 240 rally together then we had better have a 'best modified' award!

tuning_redblock Sep 15th, 2006 08:37

Hahahaha, well it should give me a few months to sort out any problems with her before we go, anyway Ian I'm in and so is my partner, She just wants to drive abroad? weird ladyee.

Regards Andi

Cornholio Sep 15th, 2006 09:56

Would a 340 be welcome? I am a fan of 240s and would love a saloon, but don't expect I'll be owning one anytime soon.

I would be quite interested in this, especially if it were to Le Mans. My Mum lives not too far from there, so I could visit her as well.

Cheers,

Gavin.