Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Front seat removel (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276054)

mantaray Dec 15th, 2017 20:05

Front seat removel

I have a 14 reg V40 CC, and I wish to remove the front seats.

Is it as easy as unbolting them or is there a set way to remove them safely. Don't want an airbag or something going off.

These modern cars are all new to me, yes they have some nice modern gismos but they are a whole new learning curve when it comes to working on them.

Thanks for any advice

green van man Dec 16th, 2017 08:22

Simple answer is I don't know.
The Safety Restraint System contains what amounts to explosive charges to tension the seat belt in the event of an accident and there must be a procedure to disable them and remove the seat safely but whether that involves disconnecting the battery and waiting half an hour I am unsure. The handbook is of little use in these cases as if it mentions it at all it will reffer you to your dealer.
Disconnecting the plug under the seat may be enough but who knows.
Perhaps your local breakers yard may be able to tell you, your dealer would but may not be willing to. Other than those perhaps a local crash repair centre, often the seats have to be removed for access of body dozers/power pacs.

Paul.

The Thong Dec 18th, 2017 19:22

If it’s the same as the V50 and S60, disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats. The bolts are easy enough to remove, it’s the trims which become casualties when you try and lever them off.

TT

AndyJudge Dec 22nd, 2017 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Thong (Post 2348613)
If it’s the same as the V50 and S60, disconnect the battery before unplugging the seats. The bolts are easy enough to remove, it’s the trims which become casualties when you try and lever them off.

TT

+1 remember to disconnect the battery first before doing anything otherwise as soon as you disconnect the Airbags on the seats the warning light will pop up & the only way to turn it off is Dealer reset (Or helpful person with VIDA/DICE)

ThePurplePanther Dec 22nd, 2017 11:19

General tip i've found useful (can't remember where i found it) is when removing anything with plastic trim/bolt covers at this time of year is give them a quick blast with a hair dryer or similar heat source to slightly soften them/reduce the brittleness.

Not a guarantee, but when i started doing this the number of plastic clips i snapped dropped dramastically!

Good luck

mantaray Dec 22nd, 2017 20:07

Thanks for the replies. I want to see how hard or easy it is to remove the covers so I can fit heat pads.

ITSv40 Dec 22nd, 2017 20:37

2 Attachment(s)
Removing the seat covers is do-able, but very fiddly and time consuming. I've no experience with the V40 but removed the covers on my C70 last winter to repair the tilt mechanism. First attachment shows the seat with the covers off showing the heater pad on the backrest, the pads are glued to the seat upholstery to hold them in place and then the cover put over the top. Second one shows the completed seat. I suspect your seats will be a similar principle. Apologies for the second one being on its side.