Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Passenger tyre wearing (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=318570)

05XC90 Jul 22nd, 2021 11:48

Passenger tyre wearing

I'm getting wear on the outer edge of the front passenger tyre. Have had alignment checked and mechanic looked it over and couldn't see anything wrong. The tyres are on around a year and it's mainly been getting a lot of around town use over the past year. I'd replaced the tyres due to similar wear last year, but there was a track rod end away and I'd put if down to that.

Anyone else experience this, or anything to look out for?

TruckbusUK Jul 22nd, 2021 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05XC90 (Post 2755650)
I'm getting wear on the outer edge of the front passenger tyre. Have had alignment checked and mechanic looked it over and couldn't see anything wrong. The tyres are on around a year and it's mainly been getting a lot of around town use over the past year. I'd replaced the tyres due to similar wear last year, but there was a track rod end away and I'd put if down to that.

Anyone else experience this, or anything to look out for?

Did you get 4 wheel alignment? I makes a big difference, also the alignment angles changed about 2008, so you need to check the workshop used the correct values when they checked the alignment.

Alt, do you live with a lot of roundabouts in the area ... can cause havoc , finally are your tyre pressures correct, again worth checking.

All this assumes the workshop actually checked all the bushes etc on the wishbones, dampers etc.

hope it helps :regular_smile:

Tannaton Jul 22nd, 2021 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruckbusUK (Post 2755651)

Alt, do you live with a lot of roundabouts in the area ... can cause havoc

That ^^^

Get alignment and bushes checked - but consider rotating your tyres.

05XC90 Jul 22nd, 2021 18:27

Cheers dudes, yeah had 4 wheel laser alignment done last year and then brought it back to be checked and all ok. Mechanic checked everything possible and couldn't find anything at fault. I wouldn't have thought an excessive amount of roundabouts, but it gets a fair bit of town driving every day. Someone else had suggested this to me!
Was going to swap tyres round to balance out the wear on them and save me buying more!

SwissXC90 Jul 23rd, 2021 09:06

If you do a lot of around town driving in a roundabout way, then a tyre rotation every 6 months is worthwhile.

I rotate every 6 months automatically when changing from Summer to Winter and it helps enormously with tyre wear.

Just be aware that rotational-dependent tyres (as many are these days) can never be swapped left to right, you must only rotate from front to back, on the same side.

IainG Jul 23rd, 2021 09:31

Hi
On my V50 the rear tyre inner edges used to wear due to the camber settings. I increased to Eco tyre pressures over 10 years ago and the problem has stopped.
The higher tyre pressures puts a bit more weight on the centre of the tread and stops/reduces edge wear.
If all the angles, alignments have been checked it is worth a try.

Iain

Moose Test Jul 23rd, 2021 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwissXC90 (Post 2755954)
a tyre rotation every 6 months is worthwhile.

+1

This has made a not insignificant difference to the working life of the tyres I use, which are generally softer compounds (winters in season, and rain tyres for general use) The other factors mentioned already notwithstanding, these cars aren't fixed 4wd and on take off, most of the "rubber hits the road" on the fronts, so they wear disproportionately.