Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Squeeky brakes (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=263307)

edbanger1975 Feb 6th, 2017 16:41

Squeeky brakes

For a while now I've had this annoying squeek from the brakes at speeds up to 40mph. The moment i touch the brake pedal the noise dissappears, then when i release the pedal the noise is back. I like to drive with the window cracked open a bit, but the noise is bugging me. Sounds like i have a couple of budgies in my tyres.
I was hoping one if you clever people on here have some suggestions as to the easiest way to solve it. Is there something i can spray on the callipers to quieten it?
I really dont want to go back to the dealer just for this.
I think the noise started very soon after having my car hand washed by my local easten European friends at the car wash. They must if used some wheel cleaner/brake cleaner on it..
So any ideas......

Konst Feb 6th, 2017 17:00

I'm having something similar, but mine sounds more a "whistle" like calipers slightly touching the disks. I can hear it even with closed windows, driving at low speed. For exemple on the parking ramps, driving slowly between two walls it is very audible. Like yours, when I touch the brake pedal the noise disappears. I reported this to my dealer but they say although they can hear the noise it is "not a safety issue and we don't have any TJ about this" .
Perhaps we have the same problem?

Marley Don Feb 6th, 2017 17:13

My car was a very early model and I had this problem about 8 months back, car had done about 4K miles - the noise used to drive me mad. It turned out to be the brakes - front and rear discs and pads were replaced under warranty by Volvo.

PerfidiousAlgernon Feb 6th, 2017 17:14

Squeaky brakes were a known fault on early XC90s and I had both pads and discs replaced at around 8000 miles. I thought that newer cars weren't affected. Volvo brakes and faults aside, you might find that a series of sharp brakings from speed, both forward and reverse could help clear truck wash, which is typically what hand car washers (and some Volvo dealers) use.

bod Feb 6th, 2017 20:20

Mine is having new pads and discs fitted at the moment, MY2017 with 7000 miles on, it was making a slight squeal , not really a problem as hardly noticeable. Parts had to be ordered from Sweden.

edbanger1975 Feb 7th, 2017 08:48

Thanks everyone....i wasnt aware it was a comon issue. Guess i better get back to the dealer then and see what they say...cheers all...

Bicax Oct 16th, 2017 08:57

Brand new my18 XC90 D5 here (1000km in), and I also have this high pitched whine when breaking at slow speeds (for example in town when going to a stop at a red light). It can be heard with the windows closed.

Pedestrians even turn around to look...

I will give it another 1000km to see if it goes away by itself.

rejm68 Oct 18th, 2017 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicax (Post 2327899)
Brand new my18 XC90 D5 here (1000km in), and I also have this high pitched whine when breaking at slow speeds (for example in town when going to a stop at a red light). It can be heard with the windows closed.

Pedestrians even turn around to look...

I will give it another 1000km to see if it goes away by itself.

Me too - waiting for the three month review to see if it needs looking at.