Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   VIDA/DICE won't read vehicle CEM/CDM error (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=306212)

Nuddmann May 21st, 2020 19:01

VIDA/DICE won't read vehicle CEM/CDM error

Hi folks

The dreaded SRS light has made its annual reappearance, a few weeks before the MOT is due after I moved the passenger seat.

I've got VIDA and a DICE, which has previously worked OK and read the vehicle. Got it all plugged in today and now it says the vehicle's not responding when I click the READ VEHICLE button. It gives a number of reasons, vehicle pre 1999 (not), ignition not on (vehicle running) or CEM/CDM error.

Anyone got any ideas?

I did have to do a fresh install of all the software and drivers today, won't bore you with why, but it's detecting the DICE, loaded the drivers but DICE won't speak to the car. The orange Bus interface light flashes but won't stay on. It's all been in a drawer for best part of 12 months so have no idea why it won't play anymore

Don't really want to have to fork out 60 quid getting the mobile man to come out and reset it again.

IainG May 21st, 2020 19:16

Hi
I spent ages on mine.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286743

Ended up being a broken joint.

Hope yours is a simple software fix

Iain

Nuddmann May 21st, 2020 20:44

I've spent about two hours trying to sort this. It's doing my head in!

I suspect it's a driver issue, because the software I've got, in the installation instructions, says not to let Windows install drivers automatically but to choose drivers that come with the software from the Program Files "tree".

Trouble is, I can't seem to stop Windows from automatically installing it's own System 32 drivers and when I uninstall and delete these drivers then direct Windows to the Program Files/Vida folders I still seem to end up with the same bloody driver that Windows automatically installs.

So frustrating as this didn't happen when I originally set it all up.

magnuz May 21st, 2020 22:55

Don't forget to check the pins in the OBD plug, i recently had a scan tool not communicating, it turned out to be a bent over pin in the plug !

gatos May 21st, 2020 23:04

When you say "read vehicle" button, do you mean at the very beggining? Or later on, under the diagnostics tab?

If at the beggining, then DICE cannot read the VIN of the car. You will have to manually enter it in VIDA.

Nuddmann May 22nd, 2020 09:23

Hi Alex

It's under the Vehicle Profile Tab. I've put the VIN number in the box, which it recognises, when I then click on the READ VEHICLE button I've got a steady USB com status light on the DICE.

The Vehicle Interface Status orange light flashes but then I get the error message after a few seconds.

Have checked the pins on the OBD connector and nothing obvious. It's spent the last 11 months in a drawer unused so I'd be surprised if it's that. I reckon it's got something to do with the drivers because the VIDA disks I got came with instructions to direct Windows to the DICE folder that came with the software. Trouble is, there seems to be no way of stopping Windows from automatically installing drivers, which don't seem to be the ones in the VIDA software.

I've got the right hump because it worked last year and I had to reinstall it yesterday and now it won 't work.

I've done a configuration test and it says OK

I hate this thing.

I'll probably buy a different reader, my blood pressure is no longer at safe levels
:shocked:

Nuddmann May 22nd, 2020 09:41

So, just gone through the update function for the DICE, the firmware it's showing is the correct pathway according to my installation instructions and when I update it i.e. effectively reinstall the firmware, still not working. So software doesn't seem to be the issue. I give up!

barrybritcher May 22nd, 2020 12:04

go on ebay, make sure the seller is selling instant download VIDA 2014D.

make sure its a virtual machine version.

install it, make sure you never "save state" just power off

£2.99

Nuddmann May 22nd, 2020 12:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrybritcher (Post 2631201)
go on ebay, make sure the seller is selling instant download VIDA 2014D.

make sure its a virtual machine version.

install it, make sure you never "save state" just power off

£2.99

That's exactly what mine is mate. Worked fine last year.

Anyway, have ordered an iCarsoft from a UK suppler. Compatible (according to them) so will await arrival.

barrybritcher May 22nd, 2020 12:27

yea i use icarsoft day to day only for the advanced stuff dig out the laptop.

icarsoft does 99% of what u need - except nobody wants to buy mine off me!!!