Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Manually adjusted Driver's Seat Swap To Electric. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303689)

AustinM64 Feb 17th, 2020 14:29

Manually adjusted Driver's Seat Swap To Electric.

Hi There,

I have a September 2002 S60 D5 which has a manually adjusted driver's seat. Does anyone know if the wiring loom under the seat already has the required connections to fit the electric seat?

Does anyone know if an electrically adjusted driver's seat was an option on the S60 in 2002?

Cheers

Austin

Technician Feb 19th, 2020 09:13

Hi,

I think the answer is yes and yes. Electric seats have been on offer since the 80's so it's not an issue with Volvo being behind the curve. On pre facelift cars there are several.conectors under the seat and you should see wires coming from the carpet and going into a connection on a rail at the front base of the seat. From that you will see nothing the other side going into the seat itself, there being your spare power seat and heated seat connections.

You will need a pre-facelift seat, fuses for the dashboard side fuse box and obviously remember to disconnect battery before swapping as you will be disconnecting the airbag connector.

Also the electric seat weighs as much as the moon after a big dinner. It's also easy to scratch the paint on the sill so cover with a thick rag. 2 people makes it a bit easier, but the doors down get in your way a bit with 2 people trying to grapple the seat.

Good luck.
Steve

AustinM64 Feb 24th, 2020 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technician (Post 2601734)
Hi,

I think the answer is yes and yes. Electric seats have been on offer since the 80's so it's not an issue with Volvo being behind the curve. On pre facelift cars there are several.conectors under the seat and you should see wires coming from the carpet and going into a connection on a rail at the front base of the seat. From that you will see nothing the other side going into the seat itself, there being your spare power seat and heated seat connections.

You will need a pre-facelift seat, fuses for the dashboard side fuse box and obviously remember to disconnect battery before swapping as you will be disconnecting the airbag connector.

Also the electric seat weighs as much as the moon after a big dinner. It's also easy to scratch the paint on the sill so cover with a thick rag. 2 people makes it a bit easier, but the doors down get in your way a bit with 2 people trying to grapple the seat.

Good luck.
Steve

Steve,

I've only just seen this; genius, thanks!

Yesterday, I put the electrically adjusted front driver's seat in.

When I took out the manually adjusted seat there were two male plugs that were fitted into blank female plugs (plus the usual wiring). When I put in the electrically adjusted seat the female plugs were not blank and went to a relay box under/attached to the seat.

You can imagine my joy finding that the wiring appeared to already be there but this quickly turned to gloom when the seat didn't work and the SRS Airbag Light is now on (I didn't have your advice about disconnecting the battery). Is there a way to reset this?

I haven't installed any fuses but the relay box is clicking when any of the adjustment switches are operated, so the power is there but there appears to be a different issue/problem.

Any idea where I need to start looking would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Austin

dave c59 Feb 24th, 2020 13:49

You probably need to fit the 25a fuse to position 1 in the fusebox at the end of the dashboard, this is for the actual motors in the seat (position 2 is for the passenger seat). Actually I'd fit both fuses as the wiring diagrams are for LHD cars - could be swapped about?
SRS light is VIDA or good code reader only.

Good luck.

LankyTim Feb 27th, 2020 19:57

I've done this on a 2002 V70 and it wouldn't work correctly. The wiring is all present but the seat has it's own ECU which the car needs programming to recognise. The seat adjustments will work for around 20 seconds after opening the door after which all movement ceases. After locking the car up and unlocking again you'll get another 20 seconds. It was really annoying to find this out!

Joe Harding Feb 27th, 2020 21:39

I’ve done this conversion and it worked a treat. The only bit of gadgetry that didn’t work was the ‘memory’ function in the key fob, but who cares. Lovely leather seats and electrical operation.
Yes, you should have disconnected the battery, not only for the SRS but the danger of deploying the air bags.

AustinM64 Mar 3rd, 2020 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by LankyTim (Post 2604543)
I've done this on a 2002 V70 and it wouldn't work correctly. The wiring is all present but the seat has it's own ECU which the car needs programming to recognise. The seat adjustments will work for around 20 seconds after opening the door after which all movement ceases. After locking the car up and unlocking again you'll get another 20 seconds. It was really annoying to find this out!

Okay, here is a post of mine for another thread where someone has mentioned the same problem of the seat moving but only for a short period of time. So for me, it was the same; fuses in and the seat works but the same issue arises. Open the door and the seat can be adjusted but after a while - I haven't timed it yet - it stops being adjustable. Not really a problem as my seat is adjusted before I drive, but interesting.

Can this matter be resolved?

Cheers

Austin

LankyTim Mar 13th, 2020 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinM64 (Post 2606233)
Okay, here is a post of mine for another thread where someone has mentioned the same problem of the seat moving but only for a short period of time. So for me, it was the same; fuses in and the seat works but the same issue arises. Open the door and the seat can be adjusted but after a while - I haven't timed it yet - it stops being adjustable. Not really a problem as my seat is adjusted before I drive, but interesting.

Can this matter be resolved?

Cheers

Austin

I think there's an ECU in the seat which the car needs to be programmed to accept, I think this can only be done by the dealer.

BlueRubber Mar 20th, 2020 17:30

RE your SRS warning, I am pretty sure you can reset this with VIDA.

ASt85 Mar 21st, 2020 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRubber (Post 2611308)
RE your SRS warning, I am pretty sure you can reset this with VIDA.

Yes you are right. An Autell 309 (maxiscan) unit or a copy of it will also turn off the airbag warning light.