Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   cabin filter (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=250739)

luggsey May 27th, 2016 11:20

cabin filter

On my XC70 my2006 is the cabin filter on the drivers side or the passenger side?

jakechester May 27th, 2016 11:26

passenger under glove box

Rubberpie May 27th, 2016 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakechester (Post 2116410)
passenger under glove box

Just changed mine, if you look on YouTube there are a couple of videos that show you how to do it. Either side of the footwell light you'll find a torx screw. Undo these, remove the trim. Cabin filter lives in there, accessed by a lid fixed with four more torx screws. Two closest to you are easy, to get to the other two you'll need to employ the services of a gymnast.

Georgeandkira May 27th, 2016 13:10

For the two rear torx screws I recommend a common bit adaptor for a drill.

These are the things which have a 1/4" shank for the drill's chuck and a socket to accept 1/4" hex drive sockets of every description.

Wrap it in rubber bands for grip and twist away. Don't strong-arm these torx screws as they're going into very soft plastic.

Rubberpie May 27th, 2016 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Georgeandkira (Post 2116445)
For the two rear torx screws I recommend a common bit adaptor for a drill.

These are the things which have a 1/4" shank for the drill's chuck and a socket to accept 1/4" hex drive sockets of every description.

Wrap it in rubber bands for grip and twist away. Don't strong-arm these torx screws as they're going into very soft plastic.

Or use one of those flexible drive things. Or a torx bit directly in a small ratchet, that's what my gymnast used.

Kira, I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your message, I'm not worthy of being allowed that privilege yet.

luggsey May 27th, 2016 13:47

I looked at a YouTube of the filter being changed and it's on the opposite side? Maybe it's to do with lhd/rhd?
Anyhow, thanks all, I'm going to try and get in there now, wish my safe return!
I have a habit of getting stuck in car interiors!!!

luggsey May 27th, 2016 15:17

Just for the record, wow that filter needed changing!
When leaves and debris started falling out I knew it was time....
The old filter was beyond minging, it was a pattern one but I couldn't tell if it was black with charcoal or dirt!
I've used a cheaper non carbon one but I would include it as a job at oil change time now.
Air con seems to work better now as well!
Bonus.

Georgeandkira May 27th, 2016 16:22

Sometimes they are entirely neglected.

I respectfully recommend to anyone who does this job to reach in and clean as much dirt as you can from the chamber (for lack of a better word).

It is said that the filter's job is more to protect the A/C evaporator coil than provide us with filtered air. They should just say it's there for both.

Putting rags on thin sticks etc. is what I do because pine needles fall into the air intake and the sap is said to be acid and acid eats holes in aluminum heater/evaporator cores. The pine needles don't necessarily get all the way down to the filter.

Just sayin', do as complete a job as you can.

In the old 850's there was an available frame for the air intake in the cowl which would accommodate a filter. I thought this was a better idea because it stopped the dirt before it got into the car.

Bonefishblues May 27th, 2016 16:27

Be aware that there's a thick slot and a thin slot, so whilst it is entirely possible to fit a thin one into a thick slot you may have to use a lot of force and generally destroy it until you realise how stupid you've been. OE filter is thick, BTW

Ask me how I know :)

luggsey May 27th, 2016 18:16

I didn't have any trouble, the one that came out was the same as the one I put back, just slid in and had a sort of bendy bit on th bottom which put it under slight load when the cover was refitted.
I always thought they were first fitted as pollen filters?