Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sterilising water system (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281624)

Dibble May 9th, 2018 16:55

Sterilising water system

How do fellow caravanners go about sterilising the water system in their caravans?

Whyman May 9th, 2018 20:53

Fairly simple, part fill your water carrier and add some sterilising solution to the required strength and then fill the water pipes of the caravan using the pump. Bleed all of the air out of the system.

Leave the solution in for the time specified and then flush out with clean water.

I also use a Floe drain down kit after each use and particular when winterising the van to get all the stale water out and prevent any frost damage during the winter.

Father Ted May 10th, 2018 20:50

I've used Milton (baby bottle steriliser) in the past, but I now use Puriclean. Milton leaves a slight taste, no matter how much you rinse it.

mike95 May 10th, 2018 23:05

Another vote for Periclean. Easy to use and rinse out leaving no taints.

If you have a carbon filter I would remove this first or it will pick up the taint.

Mike

green van man May 11th, 2018 18:06

Milton for me. Fill the barrel, add Milton to streignth open taps and pump through, close taps and leave to stand for half an hour. Drain out and flush.
Do not notice any taint but I rarely drink water unless it has coffee added.

The excess Milton fluid can be used to wipe the fridge, wash basin, sink and shower out, thus sterilising it all.

Some of the site's I visit have serviced pitches so I also pour the Milton fluid through the hose pipe I use to connect the auto fill fitting in the barrel to the tap. That's this weekend's job ready for the trip north.

Paul.

Ian21401 Mar 5th, 2019 17:58

Same as Paul but use Boots own brand instead of Milton. Haven’t noticed any after taste, but then almost never drink water neat. When I had the old Musketeer which didn’t have micro switch taps or a pressure switch I used a powder dissolved in the water but I found out the hard way when we first acquired our later van with micro switches etc that the powder stuff prevents the pressure switch from working so now use a liquid. In don’t think it really matters which brand so long as the directions are followed.
Considered a Floe but haven’t done nothing about it yet.

dingov70 Mar 6th, 2019 23:10

I have always treated my water tanks / hydration bladders Etc. with VWP brewing cleanser . It does not leave any chlorine or similar taints & it does an amazing job of removing an odours that may occur

Ovlovppz Mar 6th, 2019 23:52

I use Puriclean to sterilise my water system.
I make sure it is totally dissolved in a jug before adding to the caravan to avoid blockages.
The reason I use Puriclean is the well documented issue with Milton damaging stainless steel and aluminium.
😉😉