Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   Hand Brake problem. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299227)

woodways3 Oct 6th, 2019 08:43

Hand Brake problem.

Can anyone tell me why one side of the cars hand brake is not working?I cannot believe the cable has broken.Or is this possible?

reggit Oct 6th, 2019 09:13

You're in the sales section here!

However, have you checked the handbrake shoes for delaminating? They commonly lose their friction material over time (it falls off as it's just glued on)

Longhouse21 Oct 9th, 2019 14:14

Cable can snap, cable can seize, cable can pull through the stop end on the expander. Shoes worn or delaminated. Compensator not working correctly.
Could be any number of issues.
You'll need to have a look to check, some checks can be undertaken without removing the wheels, but ultimately you will likely need to remove wheels, calipers, carriers and discs to check properly.
As reggit has said, shoes are known to delaminate and this can lead to very expensive repairs if not actioned quickly.

woodways3 Oct 10th, 2019 19:23

Hand brake issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhouse21 (Post 2561226)
Cable can snap, cable can seize, cable can pull through the stop end on the expander. Shoes worn or delaminated. Compensator not working correctly.
Could be any number of issues.
You'll need to have a look to check, some checks can be undertaken without removing the wheels, but ultimately you will likely need to remove wheels, calipers, carriers and discs to check properly.
As reggit has said, shoes are known to delaminate and this can lead to very expensive repairs if not actioned quickly.

Yes you were both right,The friction material had come completly away.
Seems strange there are no adjustments at the shoe ends.The disc was tight to fit back over the shoes.Im sure they will be rubbing when i drive is this normal ,to start with?

reggit Oct 10th, 2019 22:29

There’s an adjuster by the lever, pull the plastic bit of the trim up and you’ll see it. Assuming all else is good this will adjust the brake shoes.

sv70 Oct 11th, 2019 00:12

Some cars didn't have the adjustable link bars on the handbrake shoes,i found that out when i removed my drums to renew the shoes,and mine were solid link bars,so i purchased the adjustable links from euro car parts-approx £15,and that allows you to really slacken off the shoes to allow easy fitment of the drums,then turn the serrated part with a screwdriver on the adjuster to get fine adjustment so the shoes are just skimming the drums.

woodways3 Oct 11th, 2019 08:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by sv70 (Post 2561718)
Some cars didn't have the adjustable link bars on the handbrake shoes,i found that out when i removed my drums to renew the shoes,and mine were solid link bars,so i purchased the adjustable links from euro car parts-approx £15,and that allows you to really slacken off the shoes to allow easy fitment of the drums,then turn the serrated part with a screwdriver on the adjuster to get fine adjustment so the shoes are just skimming the drums.

Thanks thats interesting!

rabbitrr Oct 12th, 2019 11:18

The brake cables can come off the yoke that's under the central console as well

barrybritcher Oct 12th, 2019 13:33

don't buy the cheap shoes from ECP I did and they weren't an exact match

Clan Oct 12th, 2019 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodways3 (Post 2561752)
Thanks thats interesting!

None of the cars should have an adjustable shoe link rod , it should be solid that is how it was designed and it works very well ...
The adjustable link died when the new range of cars came out 20 years ago

The adjustment is done on the cable on the back of the lever ( or on the cable in the front passenger well , r/h side behind the trim panel on the XC90 ) ....