Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   V50 Engine 2.0D : Warm/Hot starting problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=51974)

nozmeister Jan 25th, 2008 19:56

Warm/Hot starting problem

Hi,

I've a 2006 V50 2.0D SE which I'm fairly happy with however it seems to have developed an intermittant fault when starting the engine up which is not fully cold.

If I run the car for a 10 miles or so and then stop, wait an hour or so and then come back to start the car it sometimes takes three to five attempts to start the engine. The engine is always warmed up and it can sometimes happen on 60 mile trip. There are no problems when the car is cold.

Is this EGR valve related? As the fault is intermittant I'm not sure if the garage are going to find this and I don't want to waste my time going there to be told the usual "No fault found".

Any clues appreciated...

Thanks
Noz

Multiplex Jan 26th, 2008 20:03

It could be a tricky one to nail this especially if the garage can not reproduce the fault. Try and give the garage as much information as possible as to when the fault occurs and how oftern it does it, ask to speak to the Master Tech directly about the fault.

It may be the EGR valve but it could be many other things aswell.

Hopefully the onboard diagnostics will have stored a code which should make fault tracing easier.

Keep us updated how you go on after it has been looked at.

Feathers69 May 2nd, 2012 21:05

V50 2.0d 57 plate

Ref my 57 plate V50 2.0 diesel.
I have got the exact same problem, starts perfect from cold, runs fine. Try restarting after say 10 or 15 minutes, and it just won't fire up. Have read various posts and everything seemed to be pointing to the Throttle body/housing which has a flap in it that can stick. Had that replaced today.....same problem occurred after about 15 minutes of driving.

Anyone any ideas?

usa2003husky Jun 11th, 2012 14:58

Same problem on my 55 V50. Only does it after long drives (so if the engine is hot) and I stop off somewhere for 15-20 mins then jump back in and start her up, just doesn't fire! Probably should add that if i pump the gas peddle whilst turning it over it seems to kick it into life, only just recently found this out.

Gradually getting worse, as it seems to be struggling to start ona morning more recently. New started motor fitted end of last year so I know its not that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

kebab10 Jun 11th, 2012 15:10

I would certainly suspect the Throttle flap. Clean or replace. Do a search and hve a look for how to clean or replace.

cymroboi Jun 11th, 2012 21:28

hows about having a read of this post ??
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=77742

might be helpfull

Ninja59 Jun 13th, 2012 07:46

throttle flap only the late models had a sensor on the the body to sense the problem and tell the driver earlier ones do not, the problems with the starting esp. for the third guy posting pumping the pedal will probably be opening it enough to make it start properly and the fact codes have not been logged means this is more likely as the throttle flap body unless of the late ones mentioned will not log faults.

Feathers69 Jun 28th, 2012 10:44

My V50 has been in 3 times now and still the fault has not been diagnosed.
The Throttle Valve is most peoples obvious choice, but thet has already been changed. Just today, the engine has started racing (after a long journey) and black smoke is billowing out of the exhaust. Time to get rid if I can sell it in this condition !!

SonyVaio Jun 28th, 2012 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers69 (Post 1195923)
My V50 has been in 3 times now and still the fault has not been diagnosed.
The Throttle Valve is most peoples obvious choice, but thet has already been changed. Just today, the engine has started racing (after a long journey) and black smoke is billowing out of the exhaust. Time to get rid if I can sell it in this condition !!

When you have changed the TB in the past has this been with brand new Genuine Volvo TB's??

It does sound like TB issue.

:star-wars-smiley-01

Asurath Apr 5th, 2019 06:43

Hey,

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but Id really like to know - did you solve your problem? What was the culprit?

I have similar problems with my V50 2.0d DPF EGR (with twin throttle body). Engine starts fine with cold engine. No problems while driving. Idle rpms are perfect. Turbo works good. In the morning there are no issuses with starting. But when I have driven for ~45 minutes and engine has warmed up, reached it normal operating temperatue, then problem occurs. After I shut engine and try to start it in 10 minutes, it just wont start.

Throttle body is oily. One flap moves good (left one), the other one moves badly (right one / car battery side), like its about to stick. The plastic housing where you put two vacuum hoses, is covered with silicone, and vacuum hoses are plugged/blanked with two bolts. Could thttle body be the culprit for my car problems?

Diagnostics showed 0 fault codes.