Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   240 soft brakes - please help! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=280543)

Nicholas Lewin Apr 12th, 2018 12:37

240 soft brakes - please help!

Hello all - really appreciate your advice/thoughts on this one...

The brakes on my 1991 240 estate were firm, positive and worked as they should do but needed maintenance

4 x new calipers, pads all round, rear discs, 6 x new flexible hoses were fitted along with with fresh brake fluid. When I collected the car, the brakes were shocking with several inches of brake pedal travel

I returned the car and this time additionally a new master cylinder was fitted. The brakes are better with less pedal travel. However, the pedal still moves 2-3 inches before anything happens, and probably nearer 6 inches if any real braking is needed - it's borderline terrifying!

With the engine off, the pedal can be moved and with the engine running moves much further. The brakes are smooth, don't pull and are better after about 500 miles of mixed driving (the discs/pads have bed-in)

The brakes have been bled at least four times now. So what's going on? Any help/thoughts/advice please?

Nick

eternal optimist Apr 12th, 2018 14:21

If you out your foot on the break and press down then start the engine, it’s normal for the pedal to sink further until it firms up again - that’s a sign the servo is working.

If you release the pedal then press it again, it shouldn’t go down as far as before you lifted it.

Assuming the pedal stays hard when you press it down, I’m not sure you have a problem with air that needs bleeding. If it is at all spongy, then there’s still trapped air. That can happen when the calipers are fitted on the wrong side of the car such that fluid enters at the top and the bleed nipple’s at the bottom, below the fluid inlet. Bleed it as much as you like, it will stay spongy.

morsing Apr 12th, 2018 18:23

Hi,

I had this problem for years with my 240 and it turned out to be the anti-squeal shims. Take them out, you don't need them...

Thanks

classicswede Apr 13th, 2018 23:28

Because the system has been drained (best not to unless unavoidable) the spider block will need bleeding

Nicholas Lewin Apr 15th, 2018 14:38

Thanks to all of you for input - very useful

A couple of local journeys later and the brakes are certainly biting better - in other words they are bedding-in just fine. The problem is to get that bite (and we're not talking unduly heavy braking or a load greater than two adults) I need to use 3 or 4 inches of travel on the pedal and at one point when I needed a bit more brake quite a bit more. That's not right to me...

So, Dai, what's a spider block? Please!

Cheers all

Nick

loki_the_glt Apr 15th, 2018 20:54

Spider Block

On the near-side chassis leg, if you follow the pipes from the master cylinder, you'll find a piece of kit with 8 pipes coming out of it. This is the "spider block" or "octopus" and it splits the fluid among the various calipers.

There is also a switch on the unit, made of nylon so very fragile. This switch needs to be cracked open to let the valve centre itself; you may(probably will) need to re-bleed the brakes themselves afterwards if any air gets into the system.

Clifford Pope Apr 16th, 2018 08:01

I don't think a 1991 car has the sliding valve inside.
Earlier cars did, and the valve was triggered to warn of a pressure difference between the two braking circuits.
Later cars dispensed with this, and instead the warning light was simply triggered by a fluid level detector on the master cylinder reservoir.Check if there is actually an electrical connection to the octopus.

I'm not sure when the change-over happened, but none of my cars from 1990 onwards had the sliding valve.
You can bleed the octopus thing by slackening a pipe coupling on each circuit and gently expelling some fluid, like bleeding a house radiator.

I've had your symptoms once, and it was when I'd fitted the kind of front brake pads that have a massive chamfer. I was alarmed when they arrived that they had such a reduced surface area, and they took so long to bed in that I replaced them with the ordinary non-chamfered kind.

morsing Apr 17th, 2018 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clifford Pope (Post 2393268)
I'm not sure when the change-over happened, but none of my cars from 1990 onwards had the sliding valve.

My '89 has it...

Nicholas Lewin Apr 20th, 2018 09:13

Thanks all for continuing thoughts. An update:

So garage #2 had a go at bleeding the system and now it's worse! Dai kindly spoke to them directly particularly regarding bleeding the distribution valve (aka spider block/valve). They'll have another go at it next week and see how things are after that

I have no experience at all of hydraulics so altho I understand the principles, I don't want to get directly involved in something as important as brakes

Keep you posted. Meantime I'm keeping extra distance and only driving locally!

Thanks all, Nick

Clifford Pope Apr 20th, 2018 09:44

I've heard it said that the pressure-limiting valves in the pipe run to the rear brakes can cause problems if the system has been completely emptied. They are at the highest point of the run so air bubbles can stick there.
The advice is to jack the car up as high as possible at the back, or park facing downhill.

My standard advice at this point is never to drain the entire system at once. Seal off each section, bench bleed the components, and bleed air out of the joints as you re-connect them.