Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   1967 Volvo 122s: My first car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253091)

Humzah Ahmad Jul 12th, 2016 18:39

1967 Volvo 122s: My first car

Hi guys!

Yesterday I picked up my first car, a 67 Volvo Amazon, and I love it! It's a project car as my parents want me to become more mechanically inclined before I move onto something fancier.

Today though I ran into my first issue, I broke the key in the ignition switch and it will not come out. My dads mechanic said he can get it out, but I want to know if there are any better alternative ignition switches I can install in the car? The orginal one is extremely stiff.

Also, does anyone on here know where I can buy an orginal Volvo Amazon steering wheel? The previous owner installed a smaller one cause the orginal steering wheel was uncomfortable for his legs.

Burdekin Jul 12th, 2016 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humzah Ahmad (Post 2138630)
Hi guys!

Yesterday I picked up my first car, a 67 Volvo Amazon, and I love it! It's a project car as my parents want me to become more mechanically inclined before I move onto something fancier.

Today though I ran into my first issue, I broke the key in the ignition switch and it will not come out. My dads mechanic said he can get it out, but I want to know if there are any better alternative ignition switches I can install in the car? The orginal one is extremely stiff.

Also, does anyone on here know where I can buy an orginal Volvo Amazon steering wheel? The previous owner installed a smaller one cause the orginal steering wheel was uncomfortable for his legs.

Good luck.

Ron Kwas is over your way and sells a push button solution. http://www.sw-em.com

Humzah Ahmad Jul 12th, 2016 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khe Sanh (Post 2138637)
Good luck.

Ron Kwas is over your way and sells a push button solution. http://www.sw-em.com

Thank you! I heard about the push start button but I didn't think it would be so inexpensive.

volvogv Jul 12th, 2016 20:15

Congratulations on your 122!
Your father is correct that working on it is a great way to build mechanical knowledge. Parts are readily available from multiple sources.

As one who has been the owner of several Volvos over the years I want to say this.........These cars are becoming more rare and have become historically significant examples of midcentury Swedish automotive excellence. You have been entrusted to preserve that car for future generations. I encourage you to keep the car in proper condition and not modify it or damage it.

Humzah Ahmad Jul 12th, 2016 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvogv (Post 2138700)
Congratulations on your 122!
Your father is correct that working on it is a great way to build mechanical knowledge. Parts are readily available from multiple sources.

As one who has been the owner of several Volvos over the years I want to say this.........These cars are becoming more rare and have become historically significant examples of midcentury Swedish automotive excellence. You have been entrusted to preserve that car for future generations. I encourage you to keep the car in proper condition and not modify it or damage it.

Thank you. That's the plan, I want to keep it as orginal as possible. Hence the reason I want find a orginal steering wheel. Only thing I will have to change our the floor pans since they are rusted out.

Ron Kwas Jul 12th, 2016 20:38

HA;

Welcome to this forum!

Unfortunately, you have started off your relationship with the car on one of the low (but not uncommon!) moments...this is totally typical, and more-so the higher the mileage and number of times the Key has been turned against the Gorilla Spring...anyone with any kind of experience with these cars would have warned you to be extremely careful with OE Ignition Switch and Key, and upgrade to a Pushbutton Start Switch ASAP...as it is, you now need to carefully extract remains of broken Key, get that replaced, and STILL install the kit.

Otherwise, these cars are robust, being made of fine materials as a result of good engineering...and the people on the forums have pretty much figured out those weaknesses which develop after 50 years. Always inform yourself when questions come up by using forums Search features, and refer to the websites out there, including my Sw-Em site (thanks for the reference, KS!).

In addition to the other Technical Articles on the Sw-Em site, I (first) invite you to see: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm ...do NOT allow mechanic to undertake any other repairs until you have informed yourself further...the Ign Sw is permanently connected to Ign Coil by way of an Armored Cable. Inadvertent (and unecessary!) damage to any of these parts will most certainly increase the scope (and cost) of repairs!

Cheers

Reason kit is inexpensive (and I hope you will feel that way about all Sw-Em Kits!) is that my priority is helping owners keep their vintage Volvos on the road, and I'm happy getting some "Beer Money" out of it...not necessarily paying off the house! It would sure be a boring world if everyone drove Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys!

Humzah Ahmad Jul 12th, 2016 20:55

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kwas (Post 2138711)
HA;

Welcome to this forum!

Unfortunately, you have started off your relationship with the car on one of the low (but not uncommon!) moments...this is totally typical, and more-so the higher the mileage and number of times the Key has been turned against the Gorilla Spring...anyone with any kind of experience with these cars would have warned you to be extremely careful with OE Ignition Switch and Key, and upgrade to a Pushbutton Start Switch ASAP...as it is, you now need to carefully extract remains of broken Key, get that replaced, and STILL install the kit.

Otherwise, these cars are robust, being made of fine materials as a result of good engineering...and the people on the forums have pretty much figured out those weaknesses which develop after 50 years. Always inform yourself when questions come up by using forums Search features, and refer to the websites out there, including my Sw-Em site (thanks for the reference, KS!).

In addition to the other Technical Articles on the Sw-Em site, I (first) invite you to see: http://www.sw-em.com/ignition_switch...ch_article.htm ...do NOT allow mechanic to undertake any other repairs until you have informed yourself further...the Ign Sw is permanently connected to Ign Coil by way of an Armored Cable. Inadvertent (and unecessary!) damage to any of these parts will most certainly increase the scope (and cost) of repairs!

Cheers

Reason kit is inexpensive (and I hope you will feel that way about all Sw-Em Kits!) is that my priority is helping owners keep their vintage Volvos on the road, and I'm happy getting some "Beer Money" out of it...not necessarily paying off the house! It would sure be a boring world if everyone drove Honda Accords and Toyota Camrys!

The orginal owner(who I bought car from) told me that the key is easy to break in the ignition switch, but did not tell me about the upgrade. I will be buying one ASAP after I show my dad your site! So I should have my mechanic just take out the remains of the key? I've tried everything in my garage and have had no luck. Here's a pic

Ron Kwas Jul 12th, 2016 21:11

HA;

Yes, extract key with no further insult to Lock Cylinder!

Use tweezers, or air pressure or a piece of the tiniest guitar string with a hook bent on the end, inserted and pushed past the key, turned, and gently pulled out to help extract broken remains of Key...whatever method is successful in extracting remains with no damage is acceptable, as Lock Cylinder will remain and must play with replacement key (LCs are replaceable as a Plan B option, but this should not be the first plan of action!)...the removed Key remains will need to be used to make a new Key from a blank.

Good Hunting!

amazon69 Jul 12th, 2016 21:14

Welcome to classic Volvo ownership Humzah. You'll sort the key out soon enough. Re the steering wheel, look on ebay.com and ask on here.. Edit..I see you have. Put a wanted ad on here. They are usually effective. Everyone in this community is very friendly and helpful.

Humzah Ahmad Jul 12th, 2016 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Kwas (Post 2138737)
HA;

Yes, extract key with no further insult to Lock Cylinder!

Use tweezers, or air pressure or a piece of the tiniest guitar string with a hook bent on the end, inserted and pushed past the key, turned, and gently pulled out to help extract broken remains of Key...whatever method is successful in extracting remains with no damage is acceptable, as Lock Cylinder will remain and must play with replacement key (LCs are replaceable as a Plan B option, but this should not be the first plan of action!)...the removed Key remains will need to be used to make a new Key from a blank.

Good Hunting!

I tried everything from needle nose pliers to tweezers and even locksmith tools, and it will not come out. Tye issue maybe that the tumblers have it locked in as the key is broken in the momentary on position. The previous owner made like 10 spare keys for it though so that isn't a problem.