Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70 shaking and trip comp problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282783)

Rids666 Jun 9th, 2018 17:30

V70 shaking and trip comp problems

Hi all. Recently purchased my first Volvo. A 08 V70 D5 sport.

Noticed a couple of issues since running it for a few weeks which I'm hoping someone could help me with

The car has started shaking mainly at motorway speeds but not from the steering wheel. Would rear wheel bearings cause this or maybe another part of the suspension? The car has done 132k miles

Also the trip computer doesn't work. After googling this problem it seems it may be a common fault with the indicator stalk? It's only a small problem but it keeps bugging me that its not working. Does anyone know a good place to get hold of a replacement stalk?

Many thanks for any help

Clan Jun 9th, 2018 17:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rids666 (Post 2412509)
Hi all. Recently purchased my first Volvo. A 08 V70 D5 sport.

Noticed a couple of issues since running it for a few weeks which I'm hoping someone could help me with

The car has started shaking mainly at motorway speeds but not from the steering wheel. Would rear wheel bearings cause this or maybe another part of the suspension? The car has done 132k miles

Also the trip computer doesn't work. After googling this problem it seems it may be a common fault with the indicator stalk? It's only a small problem but it keeps bugging me that its not working. Does anyone know a good place to get hold of a replacement stalk?

Many thanks for any help

It could be the rear wheels out of balance or tyres damaged .. Are you sure you have a trip computer ?

Gilson Jun 11th, 2018 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2412517)
It could be the rear wheels out of balance or tyres damaged .. Are you sure you have a trip computer ?

It's certainly worth checking the tyres for flat spots on the inside edge. It is difficult to see unless the wheel is off. My old Volvo had this issue and my local tyre fitter said that it is common on Volvos.

Rids666 Jun 11th, 2018 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilson (Post 2412937)
It's certainly worth checking the tyres for flat spots on the inside edge. It is difficult to see unless the wheel is off. My old Volvo had this issue and my local tyre fitter said that it is common on Volvos.

Thanks I'll have to have a good look at my tires. See if they give me any ideas. Doesn't help that there are 2 different tires on the rear but as they have been on it since I purchased a few months ago and the shaking is more recent I'm sure it's not that.

My car definitely has a trip computer (thought they all did??) the indicator stalk has the info dial on it and the reset button. Plus it's the SE model so should have it as standard

Cheers

Topper Jun 12th, 2018 10:03

Trip Computer ( mileages ?) is normally controlled by the button, at bottom, on centre of Dashboard display, which controls clock and press for T1 and T2..... not on indicator stalk.

Topper

Rids666 Jun 12th, 2018 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topper (Post 2413364)
Trip Computer ( mileages ?) is normally controlled by the button, at bottom, on centre of Dashboard display, which controls clock and press for T1 and T2..... not on indicator stalk.

Topper

The trip computer which shows Average speed, fuel consumption, average fuel consumption and tank range is controlled from the indicator stalk using the thumb wheel to navigate between menus
The trip meter (t1 and t2) which you mention is on the dashboard display and this works fine

Topper Jun 14th, 2018 12:31

Quite correct .... sorry, confused by original description .. good luck with tracking down stalk replacement.

Topper