Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Electrical Location of Relays (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=288823)

Jinxie Nov 20th, 2018 16:17

Location of Relays

Hi all,

The Volvo owner's handbook provides good info on the precise location of the various fuses, but not a single relay as far as I can see. Does anyone know where I would find the windscreen wiper relay(s) for the 2008 V70 D5 estate, please? Not just the location of the compartment but the position within in it for the wiper relay(s), please.
Thanks.

apersson850 Nov 21st, 2018 12:12

There is no such relay.

Jinxie Nov 21st, 2018 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersson850 (Post 2468821)
There is no such relay.

Eh? How do the wipers get their power, then?

Moondust70 Nov 21st, 2018 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 2468565)
Hi all,

The Volvo owner's handbook provides good info on the precise location of the various fuses, but not a single relay as far as I can see. Does anyone know where I would find the windscreen wiper relay(s) for the 2008 V70 D5 estate, please? Not just the location of the compartment but the position within in it for the wiper relay(s), please.
Thanks.

There is a relay for the rear wash/wipe in the loadbay fuse box (relay 1) ........ power for the front wash / wipe system is powered from fuse F14 in the fascia fuse box.

apersson850 Nov 21st, 2018 23:27

Yes, for the rear wiper there's a relay, just like in the old days.
But the front wipers are fed from 30+ (old German standard for constant feed from battery), via a fuse to the Wiper Motor Module. The WMM is integrated into the wiper motor assembly. It receives commands from the CEM (Central Electronic Module) about how fast and when to run the wiper motor via LIN (Local Interconnect Network).

If there are relays or just solid state motor drive devices inside Volvo's particular WMM I do not know. But there are at least no conventional, user replaceable relays there.

Jinxie Nov 22nd, 2018 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moondust70 (Post 2468937)
There is a relay for the rear wash/wipe in the loadbay fuse box (relay 1) ........ power for the front wash / wipe system is powered from fuse F14 in the fascia fuse box.

Whereabouts is the this loadbay fuse box? Under the floor?

Jinxie Nov 22nd, 2018 23:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by apersson850 (Post 2469047)
Yes, for the rear wiper there's a relay, just like in the old days.
But the front wipers are fed from 30+ (old German standard for constant feed from battery), via a fuse to the Wiper Motor Module. The WMM is integrated into the wiper motor assembly. It receives commands from the CEM (Central Electronic Module) about how fast and when to run the wiper motor via LIN (Local Interconnect Network).

That's interesting. So you're saying there is always power available to the wiper box from the battery even when the ignition's off and the car's parked up?

I'd guess instead of a relay in the front wiper box they're using MOSFETs or IGBTs; solid state switching devices as you suspected.

Moondust70 Nov 22nd, 2018 23:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 2469399)
Whereabouts is the this loadbay fuse box? Under the floor?

There is a small removable panel just behind the Near side rear lights - fuse box is in there.

apersson850 Nov 23rd, 2018 09:03

In our XC70 cars, the rear fuse/relay box is on the left side. I don't know if they move it around depending on LHD or RHD. What about the filler cap? On our cars it's on the right side. Is that moved to the left side on cars sold in Britain? Because the rear electric box is in the same place, just opposite side, as the emergency filler cap opening and the rear 12 V socket.

The wipers are always powered, yes. That's why you can lift them to the vertical parking position simply by lifting the lever on the steering wheel stalk, after turning the ignition off.

Tatsfield Nov 23rd, 2018 10:23

The fuel filler cap is on the same side no matter whether the car is LHD or RHD. When fuel pumps were on the roadside it made a difference but now you can pull up to either side of a pump in a service station so it doesn't matter.