Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 D2 or D3, automatic? Reliability? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200915)

iristoi Mar 11th, 2014 15:09

V40 D2 or D3, automatic? Reliability?

Dear all,

I know that there have been few comments on D2 and D3 differences as well as advantages, but I still was not able to find the answers I seek.

I'm choosing between V40 D2 and D3 engines, automatic. The dealer advices to go for D3, because it will "sweat" less on autobahns and/or when the car is loaded (4 passangers, luggage).

I've test driven D2 powershift, it was fine (probably because I am a very calm driver). The car will be used for two persons in the city most of the time, ocassionally travelling longer routes on weekends. In any way I have a concern, I want to be sure that the engine will not have problems in 3 or 5 years. Therefore the reliability is important to me. I used to own German and Japansese diesel cars, but I have no clue about D2 ford/volvo engine. How reliable it is and whether I should better choose a bit more powerful engine (D3).

Another question relates to automatic transmission. D2 comes with powershift, D3 with geartronic. Which of these two is more reliable and preferrable? ...it's just that I want to have a car for 5 years without major investments (transmission service tends to be vey expensive).

Since I have never owned a volvo, I also wonder whether in general terms it's reliability is in par with German cars. Again...it has to do with the wish to forget about chassi/engine problems for at least 3 years, while the car is new.

I would greatly appreciate your help and advices.

NewVolvo Mar 12th, 2014 09:20

We own a V40 D4 Geartronic (same engine as D3 but with 180PS instead of 150PS) and it's fantastic. No regrets.

The engine and gearbox combo is brilliant with smooth gearchanges at all times and it returns good fuel economy when driven normally.

We opted for the D4 due to quite a lot of long distance driving and the engine certainly does not "sweat". On a recent trip to Poland and back it would happily cruise all day at 200+ km/h.

The 5-cyl diesel engine currently fitted in the D3 and D4 (Volvo change to new VEA 4-cyl in week 20) is an old, reliable design that has been well proven over many many years.

Go for the D3 Geartronic would be my recommendation.

goodinr Mar 12th, 2014 17:25

Go for the D3 geartronic loads of overtaking power and cruising at high speed is no problem, I had a D2 manual as a loaner while mine was in for new bumpers (the paint peeling problem) and I know i will get flack for this but the D2 is a gutless lump and does not give the car the power it deserves.

OldCroc Mar 12th, 2014 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodinr (Post 1602675)
Go for the D3 geartronic loads of overtaking power and cruising at high speed is no problem, I had a D2 manual as a loaner while mine was in for new bumpers (the paint peeling problem) and I know i will get flack for this but the D2 is a gutless lump and does not give the car the power it deserves.

I have the D2 powershift and the engine/gearbox fit well. I am not sure what the difference is in the geartronic.
I agree that the D2 is gutless - especially combined with the powershift. You have to drive very gently to get a reasonable consumption - my average is just over 50 mpg.

Clan Mar 12th, 2014 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by iristoi (Post 1601754)
Dear all,

I know that there have been few comments on D2 and D3 differences as well as advantages, but I still was not able to find the answers I seek.

I'm choosing between V40 D2 and D3 engines, automatic. The dealer advices to go for D3, because it will "sweat" less on autobahns and/or when the car is loaded (4 passangers, luggage).

I've test driven D2 powershift, it was fine (probably because I am a very calm driver). The car will be used for two persons in the city most of the time, ocassionally travelling longer routes on weekends. In any way I have a concern, I want to be sure that the engine will not have problems in 3 or 5 years. Therefore the reliability is important to me. I used to own German and Japansese diesel cars, but I have no clue about D2 ford/volvo engine. How reliable it is and whether I should better choose a bit more powerful engine (D3).

Another question relates to automatic transmission. D2 comes with powershift, D3 with geartronic. Which of these two is more reliable and preferrable? ...it's just that I want to have a car for 5 years without major investments (transmission service tends to be vey expensive).

Since I have never owned a volvo, I also wonder whether in general terms it's reliability is in par with German cars. Again...it has to do with the wish to forget about chassi/engine problems for at least 3 years, while the car is new.

I would greatly appreciate your help and advices.

The D2 engine is fine , as long as it is not neglected they are doing quite high mileages already

The volvo 5 cylinder D4 is well tried as it has evolved from the D5 from 2002 rugged and feels much more than its rated horsepower due to it's torque which is similar to the D5 . Also it has a good "proper " auto gearbox and cam be very economical if you want it to be ...

OH and german cars go wrong too and their bills seem far more than volvo ones !

NewVolvo Mar 13th, 2014 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 1602886)
The D2 engine is fine , as long as it is not neglected they are doing quite high mileages already

The volvo 5 cylinder D4 is well tried as it has evolved from the D5 from 2002 rugged and feels much more than its rated horsepower due to it's torque which is similar to the D5 . Also it has a good "proper " auto gearbox and cam be very economical if you want it to be ...

OH and german cars go wrong too and their bills seem far more than volvo ones !

Our D4 does 53mpg (5.3 l/100kms) on a run at normal speeds and yes, I can to 100% confirm that German cars (namely Bmw in my case) can and do go wrong!

Rooster Mar 13th, 2014 21:53

As stated above D3 all the way, volvos tried and tested engine

iristoi Jul 19th, 2014 12:33

Thank you all for your views and recommendations.
Before final decision, I tested D3 geartronic. And indeed the car felt much more lively than D2. So in the end I've order D3 geartronic. I'm worried a bit about extra fuel consumption I'll have to live with and geartronic. I've see quite a few posts that there are problems with geartronic... I hope I drew a lucky lottery ticket with the transmission. : )

goodinr Jul 19th, 2014 15:27

D3

over last 13500 miles with a D3 Geartronic se lux I have averaged 45mpg, cant fault this car so far,

volvorocks Jul 19th, 2014 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by iristoi (Post 1695628)
Thank you all for your views and recommendations.
Before final decision, I tested D3 geartronic. And indeed the car felt much more lively than D2. So in the end I've order D3 geartronic. I'm worried a bit about extra fuel consumption I'll have to live with and geartronic. I've see quite a few posts that there are problems with geartronic... I hope I drew a lucky lottery ticket with the transmission. : )

Had you not considered the D4, as this is the latest new quicker, cleaner,more eco engine in the range?

Regards