Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   V70 Brakes: ABS system or reluctor rings (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=253885)

D5V70 Jul 28th, 2016 08:48

ABS system or reluctor rings

I see that I am not the only one suffering some recent brake problems and the other threads have given me some great knowledge :thumbs_up:

I recently changed my wishbone bushes and noticed that my NS driveshaft outer CV bolt had infact almost come out completely . I tightened it up and the car went for an MOT and all was well .
Not too long after I started getting the ABS warning and cutting of power on slower left hand tight bends .
This has now rapidly progressed to the ABS system not starting at all and once I hit the magic speed ( which must be about 30 mph ) the system just disables and I forget all about it :star:
I had a good look and yes the NS front reluctor ring would seem to have a small split in it and it is a bit uneven . The sensor is perfectly lined up and I had it out and eyeballed where it sat etc .

My question is whether this small split in the reluctor ring would actually cause so much problem at very slow ( walking even ) speeds ?. Is the system really that accurate ?. Ok , if I had a few missing teeth then I could maybe see it , but is a small crack going to make this much difference . I really can't see it and hence I am wondering whether to try buying a new sensor instead .

Any help appreciated , thanks , Gordon :thumbs_up:

volvo2 Jul 28th, 2016 08:54

When my reluctor ring broke (2002 V70), the warning light would come on only after traveling a short distance / after reaching about 50mph. After parking-up it would be OK again until I once again set off and travelled a short distance.

There were no other symptoms.

cheshired5 Jul 28th, 2016 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by D5V70 (Post 2146580)
My question is whether this small split in the reluctor ring would actually cause so much problem at very slow ( walking even ) speeds ?

Yes it could so change the ring. :thumbs_up:

D5V70 Aug 28th, 2016 17:36

An update to this .
It is now sorted .
I bought two new rings from the link on the forum .
No problem getting them to go on , I heated them up with a welding torch and they went on with miles of clearance , but they did shrink down and gripped well .
Did both sides which were both a bit corroded . One side had a small split in it , I really didn't think it would make any difference , but it has .
Thanks .

DieselDoNicely Aug 29th, 2016 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by D5V70 (Post 2160134)
An update to this .
It is now sorted .
I bought two new rings from the link on the forum .
No problem getting them to go on , I heated them up with a welding torch and they went on with miles of clearance , but they did shrink down and gripped well .
Did both sides which were both a bit corroded . One side had a small split in it , I really didn't think it would make any difference , but it has .
Thanks .

Yes mine had a small crack, only showed going around a roundabout.

DDN

2.4TSE Aug 30th, 2016 16:08

A timely thread to find. :)

"Antiskid service required" appeared the day before departing on a road trip from the UK to Sweden and back via the Channel Tunnel in my 2003 V70, and appeared on and off (usually off) throughout the trip. My guess is that I have one or more corroded reluctor rings so I have three questions, please:

1) Do front and rear rings corrode pretty much equally - in other words change the whole set whilst I am at it?
2) Would the new Volvo OEM driveshaft fitted by my village garage a few months ago have had a reluctor ring already pressed on to it? (Yes, I can dismantle the other side first to find out but knowing may mean I can buy 1 instead of 2, or 3 instead of 4 if not sold as pairs)
3) Should I go with Volvo OEM rings or are there others I can trust from forum members' experience?

Many thanks,
2.4TSE

TDIvolvo Aug 30th, 2016 16:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.4TSE (Post 2160830)

1) Do front and rear rings corrode pretty much equally - in other words change the whole set whilst I am at it?
2) Would the new Volvo OEM driveshaft fitted by my village garage a few months ago have had a reluctor ring already pressed on to it? (Yes, I can dismantle the other side first to find out but knowing may mean I can buy 1 instead of 2, or 3 instead of 4 if not sold as pairs)
3) Should I go with Volvo OEM rings or are there others I can trust from forum members' experience?

Many thanks,
2.4TSE

1. More or less but lots of factors to consider.
2. Yes I would have thought so, I assume it was a complete shaft assembly, in which case the ring would have been on the CV.
3. Just get some from J&R on eBay for about £3.00 for two delivered. The only real difference between them all would be the metal quality (so some will rust worse and quicker and some have an anti-corrosive coating). I bought the 2 from J&R and then lightly sprayed painted the end of the CV, covering the ring, the lot, until there was a good coating over it all helping to seal the ring to the CV therefore helping to stop water getting in, which causes rust which then expands and splits the rings. I suspect the CV will need replacing before I touch the rings.

2.4TSE Aug 30th, 2016 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDIvolvo (Post 2160840)
1. More or less but lots of factors to consider.
2. Yes I would have thought so, I assume it was a complete shaft assembly, in which case the ring would have been on the CV.
3. Just get some from J&R on eBay for about £3.00 for two delivered. The only real difference between them all would be the metal quality (so some will rust worse and quicker and some have an anti-corrosive coating). I bought the 2 from J&R and then lightly sprayed painted the end of the CV, covering the ring, the lot, until there was a good coating over it all helping to seal the ring to the CV therefore helping to stop water getting in, which causes rust which then expands and splits the rings. I suspect the CV will need replacing before I touch the rings.

A nice and comprehensive reply, thank you TDIvolvo!
Much appreciated.
Yes, it was a complete OEM driveshaft assembly so that leaves three rings to replace then!
J&R here I come.

2.4TSE

TDIvolvo Aug 30th, 2016 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2.4TSE (Post 2160853)
A nice and comprehensive reply, thank you TDIvolvo!
Much appreciated.
Yes, it was a complete OEM driveshaft assembly so that leaves three rings to replace then!
J&R here I come.

2.4TSE

The rear ones are internal to the wheel-hub bearing assembly. So even better, only 1 left to change.

2.4TSE Aug 30th, 2016 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by TDIvolvo (Post 2160859)
The rear ones are internal wheel-hub bearing assembly. So even better only 1 left to change.

Wahay, thanks! :)