Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Exhaust replacement... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=283143)

Paul240480 Jun 19th, 2018 15:34

Exhaust replacement...

Got a little bit stuck on this. 99' T5 V70.
Removing old exhaust. Got most off, having angle grinding through it.
Just got a bit left from the join just aft of the cat.
This join has a clamp and two bolts. 10mm won't go on the nuts. 11mm just spins, too big?.
Anyone know the correct size please. Can't see it being imperial?

Baffler Jun 19th, 2018 18:13

On my '96 TDI they are 13mm both nut and bolt. Try remove as much crud as possible and see if you can tap on a 10mm socket on each nut.

S70Smith Jun 19th, 2018 19:42

exhaust Clamp

I had the same recently, i just bought a new clamp (7.50) and angle grinded the old one off

Paul240480 Jun 19th, 2018 20:02

Cool where did you get the clamp from?

Baffler Jun 19th, 2018 20:38

If it's the original clamp it's designed/formed to compress the flange of the rear pipe onto the one coming from the cat. Can you get an angle grinder or hacksaw between to two sections of the clamp? If you can release one side the two sections should then swivel allowing you to remove it. Two new bolts and Bob's your Uncle :)

Paul240480 Jun 19th, 2018 21:25

That ^^^ sounds like a plan ! Pretty sure the whole lot is original . Ta.

Paul240480 Jun 20th, 2018 18:06

Well, I've tried cleaning up the nuts and whacked a 10mm socket on (hex) it span easily on the nut using a small wrench.

Tried a 'star' socket, that I can spin on the 'nut' by hand.

Tried the hacksaw, not enough room to work.

The nuts look to be round, having cleaned them off. I wonder if they were some 'cunning fixing' used by Volvo to make life difficult for the DIY'er?

Maybe I'll have to buy a nut splitter and hope I have enough room to get it on squarely ?

Boo!

ksmi Jun 20th, 2018 19:39

Thoughts from the Hamster.

Evening Paul, sitting here at chez smudge,thinking about your problem, best I can come up with as follows, junior hacksaw, bolt croppers(do you know any local villains?),hacksaw blade taped up one end to grip,and lastly,bit boring,a Good,file and lots of patience and file away at the side of the nut until you can break it away. your nut splitter sounds good if you can get it on. one last thought,have you got a rotary grindstone,suitable for use with an electric drill?

Anyway,bonne chance,Keith.

Paul240480 Jun 21st, 2018 07:25

Thanks Keith. I've got a cheapo version of a dremel with all shapes of grinder stones, good thought.
I'm going to get a splitter too. Had one a while back, but as it split the nut on my old 240, it fell to bits, lol. So having done its job I got a refund, lol.

Baffler Jun 21st, 2018 10:10

That's a bummer, Paul. The nuts must be welded to the bolts with rust and I'm going to hazard a guess that you've tackled this form the luxury of your driveway so nothing is going to be easy.

Persevere! And if you have no joy with the Dremel you should get yourself a 4 1/2" grinder...it'll have paid for itself come next time you need to replace a stubborn drop link.