Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   XC90 '02–'15 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Drive shafts (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302845)

harriet1 Jan 25th, 2020 17:56

Drive shafts

Can any one tell me when volvo changed the drive shaft splines from 36 to 40 as need new ones mine are 36 thanks d5 2006 xc90

dambat Jan 27th, 2020 20:54

It depends on the engine/transmission, but in effect, most of those post 2006 are 40 spline, with the 3.2, D5, or V8. Even 40 spline driveshafts can be different so you need the right part number.

You can also get outer CVs if needed, but good luck getting the old one off!

harriet1 Jan 28th, 2020 09:50

Heat plus 14 tonnes of pressure would not move it looks like a new drive shaft and hub unbelievable

tonygreen1966 Jan 28th, 2020 12:15

Outer CV joints are normally held on with an internal spring circlip – I take it that Volvo doesn’t do this and goes for an interference fit for some reason?

harriet1 Jan 30th, 2020 20:07

the outer cv joint is held on the drive shaft with a retaining clip its the outer cv into the wheel bearing thats seems pot luck if it will move

The Ridge Rider Jan 30th, 2020 22:29

I have tried to get a CV Joint for my XC 60, the word i keep getting is, only a drive shaft is available, for FIVE HUNDRED POUNDS, i am not paying for a drive shaft when i don't need one, only a CV Joint, ruddy shamefull on Volvo on not being able to supply one. I some times wish i had not bought the bluddy thing.

Tannaton Jan 31st, 2020 17:21

There are third party companies offering CV's and if it's the rear driveshaft they're shared with the Ford KUGA (you will see Volvo and FoMoCo part numbers if the label is still on).

And there's second hand - they are reliable so used ones are easy to get.

Funky Diver Feb 1st, 2020 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by harriet1 (Post 2594019)
Heat plus 14 tonnes of pressure would not move it looks like a new drive shaft and hub unbelievable

I had that exact same quandry two years ago... except a 200 ton press wouldn't separate them. Ended up costing me nigh on £800 to get sorted then. All to change a £1.74 speed sensor ring :confused_smile:

Same has now happened to the off side, along with a few other extra MOT parts, no longer economically viable in my head... so bought a newer car instead.

binty Feb 3rd, 2020 22:34

Get a second hand shaft and hub.

Hi,
I picked up a second hand 36 spline drive shaft and hub quite cheap. (About £50)
Checked with the supplier that they were separated before I got them.
Simple job then to swap the CV joint and any other parts needed, re fit and do the tracking.
Certainly not the big costs being quoted.
May help someone.

Tannaton Feb 3rd, 2020 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tannaton (Post 2595310)
There are third party companies offering CV's and if it's the rear driveshaft they're shared with the Ford KUGA (you will see Volvo and FoMoCo part numbers if the label is still on).

And there's second hand - they are reliable so used ones are easy to get.

Ignore the Ford reference - was thinking I was in the XC60 pages....