Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Towing and Caravan Topics (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Can XC90 cope with 2200kg horse box? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=34847)

741hcr Mar 30th, 2007 11:22

Can XC90 cope with 2200kg horse box?

I am tempted to buy new XC90 but must be able to tow a 2200kg horse box. I spoke to service manager at Volvo dealers and he looked very concerned saying horses and XC90 don't work well together, unlike a caravan which is a static load. His view was that 2200kg on the back would overload transmission, even though within its tow limits, and XC90 would really struggle with hill starts. He said I would probably be better to keep an old Land Rover for the towing work.

Has anyone got experience with heavy towing as my current 4.2 Amazon tows with ease and I don't want buy an XC90 to find it is not upto the job.

Also, what is real world average mpg on 185hp auto XC90 as that is main reason for looking to replace the 21mpg Amazon?

P

James_N Mar 30th, 2007 16:33

Hold On

So your going to buy a NEW XC90 to save a few quid in fuel on the amazon?

Is it me, or is that just totally false economy? buying a NEW car and suffering the huge depriciation, just to save a few quid on petrol?

Id think VERY carefully before going ahead.

Also, I think the idea of an old landy would be MUCH better than buying a brand new XC90 just for towing.

Just my opinion :)

741hcr Mar 30th, 2007 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_N (Post 223298)
Hold On

So your going to buy a NEW XC90 to save a few quid in fuel on the amazon?

Is it me, or is that just totally false economy?

Full story is I have owned the Amazon for 6 years now, have done 108k trouble free miles and am simply bored of driving the car, hence looking for something new. I still need to tow 2200kg, have 7 seats, require 4x4 as I cross fields regularily, want modern car safety and to top it off, be much more environmentally friendly hence the desire for good mpg, ideally over 30mpg. VERY few vehicles tick all the boxes. The Landcruiser is the only other possibility I can see.

CTCNetwork Mar 30th, 2007 18:36

Hi,

Not sure that the 4 wheel drive found on the XC90 would like fields as much as a real 4x4 would. Certainly not with a horsebox on the back.

You need to be looking at a real 4x4 I think.. Which the Land Cruiser is..
Or the Disco3 or a Defender . . .

Des. . . ;)

Rooster Mar 30th, 2007 22:32

Having driven an xc90 off road i can say there brilliant, would go up hills a defender wouldn't without difflock on, but as said above i don't know how long 4wd system would last towing 2200kg though a field,

Never driven a shogun but i've driven a L200 with a few differant cars on tow behind it and didn't had to keep checking my mirrors to make sure they were still there,

741hcr Mar 31st, 2007 22:38

Thanks for your advice. Talked to another XC90 owner today who has horses and he agrees that XC90 is not really capable of towing anything other that very light loads so I will scrap the Volvo plan. Real pity as I thought I had found the perfect 4x4. Guess it's another Amazon then as Land Rover products seem to have serious reliability issues which I could not live with. Thanks again.

adamsky01 Apr 10th, 2007 01:35

i have tow a horse box of that size with a 940 did it frine but would never do it again stoped at lights horse moved fowards front weels left earth not funny when the local plod is siting next to u in his nice panda car