Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   ETM Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=81)
-   -   BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15600)

volvo2 Feb 5th, 2006 11:21

BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures.

BBC Watchdog is presently looking into Volvo ETM failures affecting 60, 70 and 80 models.

Can I suggest that those of us who are concerned immediately write to Watchdog by going on-line to: http://www.bbc.co.uk/watchdog/contact/transport.shtml; or write to: BBC Watchdog, 201 Wood Lane, London W12 7TS; or telephone: 020 8535 1000

In a recent communication with the program they told me that they need more individuals to make contact with them before they can follow up the issue (e.g. apparently they had 50 contacts regarding the Audi problem).

From what I have seen, if the BBC gets involved then we just might get a result.

Melvyn
PS Apologies for the repeat posting - just wanted to be sure S60 owners are aware of this opportunity to act.

meta_volante Feb 6th, 2006 19:55

OK right so i'm a bit thick, but can someone tell me what an ETM is?

oilburner Feb 7th, 2006 09:36

See:

http://www.vexedvolvo.org

For details of what the ETM is and why it goes wrong...

Philip Robbins Feb 10th, 2006 14:11

Would you believe it?

I have just rung my Volvo service agent saying my car was experiencing a lot of the reported ETM problems. They said that they had not heard of any problem the person also asked the service manager who said that they had nod heard of the problem as well. I have pointed them in the direction of the website and they will take a look at it. My car goes in tomorrow for a few days so they can take look at some other things and they will look at this as well. Let's hope!!

Serendipity102 Feb 16th, 2006 11:23

Advice Please

I am considering buying an S60 D5, however I was very alarmed to read about the ETM problem. Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified on cars built after 2002, or is there any way I can ensure a vehicle I purchase would not suffer this problem.

AClough Feb 16th, 2006 12:08

Petrol engines only

I believe this affects petrol engines only so you won't have any problem with the D5.

Clownshoes Feb 16th, 2006 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serendipity102
I am considering buying an S60 D5, however I was very alarmed to read about the ETM problem. Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified on cars built after 2002, or is there any way I can ensure a vehicle I purchase would not suffer this problem.

Additionally I called Volvo this morning to check if my car would be susceptible being a 52 plate petrol S60. I gave them my registration and they were able to tell me straight away that my car was produced in 2003 and so wouldn't be at risk.

The watchdog site has the number you can call.

Rich5ltr Feb 16th, 2006 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by meta_volante
OK right so i'm a bit thick, but can someone tell me what an ETM is?

Electronic Throttle Module

meta_volante Feb 16th, 2006 19:42

I have since contacted Volvo customer relations regarding this problem, I hope they can help me out.

Alpha206 Feb 19th, 2006 17:18

Thread pinned

As this is possibly going to be a big subject I've pinned it...

Graeme

(Plus I've been dying for an excuse to use my moderator's tools!):car-smiley-031:

colin39 Feb 19th, 2006 20:25

etm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Robbins
I have just rung my Volvo service agent saying my car was experiencing a lot of the reported ETM problems. They said that they had not heard of any problem the person also asked the service manager who said that they had nod heard of the problem as well. I have pointed them in the direction of the website and they will take a look at it. My car goes in tomorrow for a few days so they can take look at some other things and they will look at this as well. Let's hope!!

my friend has a 2001 v70 that i have been saying has an etm fault for about 3 months and volvo put it on the computer and have been telling us no fault found
for the same lenth of time, after watchdog they say that they can now fix this prob. wow the power of telly:Banane57:

meta_volante Feb 20th, 2006 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach
(Plus I've been dying for an excuse to use my moderator's tools!):car-smiley-031:

:D :D :D :D

volvo2 Feb 24th, 2006 10:38

I have been in contact with the Vehicle Safety Branch (VSB) of the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) here in the UK. Following my raising this issue, they met with representatives from Volvo but so far seem unwilling to take action. The communication to me was marked as confidential, so I would feel uncomfortable in posting it here. However, they do seem confused as the basis they give for not taking action is that, I quote, "as an adequate warning is given, there appears no reason to consider an action under the terms of the Code". They seem to be under the impression that a warning light illuminates prior to the failure, which as far as I know is not the case.

If anyone else would like to contact the VSB, the Head of Vehicle Safety
(VOSA) is Mr Jeffrey Sweeting, tel. 0117 9543245 Let me know if you would like his e-mail address (again I would rather not post it).

Melvyn

Philip Robbins Feb 24th, 2006 13:19

Guess what?

Took the car in, garage checked with Volvo and..... they said that my car was not effected by the problem. I asked if the car was sold in January 2003 and that it was built in 2002, can it be one of the cars affected. I was told my car was a 2003 model so it does not have this problem. Can someone clear up this matter? What year exactly does my S60 2.0T have to be made to be affected by this problem, or, as the garage said is it the model year, not production year. I am really confused, all I know is that the last three days it has took me a long time to get the car started and when I do it is so spluttery when driving, you have to keep your foot to the floor just do get it to accelerate without it giving you whiplash from all the jerkiness. :baring_teeth:

When the car is working ok it drives amazing, but sometimes when you accelerate it seems that the power has just vanished and you have to drop it down a gear just to get it to move. It's weird.

I just want my car back to normal. :emoticon_U:

marcellus Feb 25th, 2006 19:34

ETM - Where is it?

Not had a problem with ETM - yet xx. I've looked through posts on the ETM but I can't find anywhere to tell me what this thing look like and where under the bonnet do I find it? Apologies if it's on an existing post but I just can't see it. Also, what has Volvo been using since 2002?

Thanks

colin39 Mar 2nd, 2006 11:15

where is etm

the etm is the electrinic throttle moduale or throttle bodie this is a fly bye wire unit,give us back cables.

meta_volante Mar 14th, 2006 18:45

the on going saga....

I recieved a phone call from Volvo customer relations 07/03/06, they asked me if I could book my car into a dealers so they could take a look to see if there was any ETM problems affecting my car. I booked my car in with William A Lewis Volvo in Telford for a slot 2pm - 4pm 10/03/06. They fully understood the request I told them came via the customer relations(maybe others had been there before me???) I then phoned back customer relations to let them know the date and time of the appointment,they told me that during the time while my car was at the dealers they would contact the dealers direct to see what the problem was and then contribute towards the work - great! The day came and I looked forward to the short blast down the A41 and M54 to Telford and the Volvo dealers (quick plug - they are an excellent set up and I would recommend them to anyone), I dropped off the car and went for a walk around the town centre - as you do, approx 1hr 30mins later I got the call to come and pick up my car. When I got to the dealers they confirmed that my car does have what they think is an ETM failure just based on how it runs and the symptoms I described, you see when the hooked up the computer there were no fault codes at all to be seen - oh? they could not proceed any further, but I was told they would monitor the car over the next couple of months and I was free to drop it in at any time to check for the codes whenever I was passing. Shortly after I had a call from Volvo customer relations who confirmed what the garage had told me, but they were eager to get it sorted and encouraged me to take it back whever possible for a check up to see if a fault code has been thrown up. Just how and when does this code appear and for how long? I feel that I may never get it sorted now and have that feeling like I have just had my fingers trapped in the cookie jar lid. Any comments welcomed.

volvo2 Mar 21st, 2006 10:04

Apologies if this posting appears a little rude or pushy, however frankly I am astonished at the short term, ‘flash in the pan’ nature of apparent interest in this issue. I realise that many are not affected, however unless those of us who are take more action we will be permanently lumbered with an on-going expensive and potentially dangerous problem. The evidence points to the fact that sooner or later each of us will suffer repeated failure of this defective component. It is pretty clear that we cannot simply sit back and expect that this issue will resolve itself.

I have been attempting to pursue the matter with the Vehicle Safety Branch of the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA). They seem interested and are currently awaiting a response from Volvo. However, in a recent e-mail the Head of Vehicle Safety, a Mr Jeffrey Sweeting, commented that he was surprised that following the Watchdog item they had received NO REPORTS concerning this. So am I!

Can I urge all those affected by this problem to contact VOSA immediately.

Contact details are:

Jeffrey Sweeting
Head, Vehicle Safety
VOSA
tel: 0117 9543245
e-mail: Jeffrey.Sweeting@vosa.gov.uk

On the other had, if there really is no interest in attempting to sort this out, I’ll give up and run the risks and suffer the costs along with the rest of you.

Melvyn

Alpha206 Mar 21st, 2006 22:19

As there are 2 threads on this subject I'll lock this one & link to the (longer) one on the S80 forum...

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=15538

MCSU Mar 23rd, 2006 09:20

VOSA feedback

I wrote to Jeffrey Sweeting Head of Vehicle safety at VOSA. to ask if VOSA or any other government body is looking into this given that the symptoms of unexpected ETM failure might cause serious injury/fatal accidents and received the following reply:

“The Vehicle & Operator Services Agency, under the terms of the Code of Practice on Vehicle Safety Defects, is working with Volvo to ascertain if an action under the terms of the Code is necessary. We expect to finalise our discussions by Mid April.”

volvo2 Mar 23rd, 2006 09:30

This is what he told me when I queried the fact that Volvo are investigating the matter themselves:

"VOSA, unlike the manufacturer, does not have the detailed product/ specification knowledge and testing facilities and therefore relies on the manufacturer to conduct an investigation.However, VOSA engineers almost always participate, often recommend testing methods and are therefore kept fully informed.

Should VOSA disagree with a manufacturers decision then, if necessary, VOSA is empowered by legislation ( General Product Safety Regulations 2005) to apply penalties. However, voluntary action is always encouraged.

In the matter of the adequacy of the warning. This is part of the ongoing investigation and as yet I am unable to comment. However, one of the things we are looking at is the ' limp home' mode the engine adopts when the warning occurs and whether this is adequate to enable a driver to take an appropriate action. "

Melvyn

rozza Mar 31st, 2006 08:01

ETM Failure - BMW Connection?

I recently read of a BMW owner - details unknown to me - who had his throttle stuck causing him to drive for severael miles at high speed unable to stop the engine. I know that Audi some years ago had ETM problems. Was this recent BMW problem also connected?

Alpha206 Mar 31st, 2006 15:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by rozza
I recently read of a BMW owner - details unknown to me - who had his throttle stuck causing him to drive for severael miles at high speed unable to stop the engine. I know that Audi some years ago had ETM problems. Was this recent BMW problem also connected?

The story was he was driving down the A1 in Yorkshire when his throttle "jammed open" and he didn't want to turn off the engine "in case his steering locked" (BTW, on the S60 the steering doesn't lock until you take the key out). He apparently rang the police who cleared the road ahead (about 100 miles IIRC) and he kept going until he got to the first roundabout at Blyth - where he crashed.

There was a follow-up to this report in the press the other day - BMW had investigated the car and found no faults.

I guess the case continues.

BTW, I'm trying to lock this thread as there's a more comprehensive ETM thread on the S80 Forum...for some reason it doesn't want to lock!:Dancing_peevedoff:

volvo2 May 19th, 2006 17:08

Today VOSA informed me that following discussions they have received confirmation from Volvo that an action to address the ETM issue has been agreed.

The action to contact consumers is not expected to start until about four week’s time. Apparently the action will be progressive in that those who have reported problems will be dealt with first.

VOSA also inform me that Volvo have suggested that in due course individuals affected should contact the Customer Care Dept at Marlow (08457 564636)

Melvyn

Oli May 19th, 2006 17:15

That's good news Volvo2 thanks for the update. Any more detail on what they will do - not just a software upgreade I hope?

Oli